ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 2-27-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2022 1:36 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 2-27-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

I'm rather proud of the posts below. I think they offer interesting comments, as well as impressive images — like this one of the Martian super-city from one of the movies.

I hope the threads will inspire interesting replies.

By the way, I've often wondered if the members of All Sci-Fi actually bothered to read the Featured Threads each day.

However, a few days ago I noticed something very encouraging. The screenshot below shows the number of "views" the Featured Threads have gotten, from a period of about a month ago.

The reason I chose that period was to illustrate the surprising fact that the further back you go, the higher the number of views the Featured Threads have gotten! Shocked

The reason this is so surprising is because I thought each day's Featured Threads were only viewed by a few folks within a day of so of being posted . . . and then never looked at again! Sad

But apparently there are a significant number members and "guests" who brows the featured threads on a regular basis, going back for months — and therefore racking up more and more views until (for example) the ones posted four months ago (back on page 3) range from 200 to 600 views each! Shocked

So, folks, I guess my worries about the Featured Threads possibly being a waste of my time are unfounded. Cool

Flash Gordon (1980)

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ All of the main cast members were signed for multiple films. The first movie didn't do as well as expected, so the sequels were never made.

Note from me: Bad timing: sci-fi fans loved the realistic look of the Star Wars movies and John Williams music. This film was cartoonish, with jarring rock music.

~ Max von Sydow's Ming costume weighed over 70 pounds. He could only stand in it for a few minutes at a time.

Note from me: Great Scott! It a costume, for cryin' out loud, not suit of armor! Why did it weigh so much? Shocked

~ In the finished film, George Harris' dialogue as Prince Thun of Ardentia was dubbed. His voice is on the Queen soundtrack album, indicating that the change must have been made fairly late in post-production.

Note from me: He sounds good in the movie, so apparently the dubbing was done skillfully.

~ Sam J. Jones' dark hair was bleached blonde, and Melody Anderson's blonde hair was dyed brown. Flash was supposed to have blue eyes, but Jones couldn't wear the contact lenses.

Note from me: Why didn't they leave Melody's hair blond?

~ Director Mike Hodges, referring to the production problems that plagued the film, once called it "the only improvised $27 million movie ever made."

Note from me: Well, now . . . this explains a lot.

~ According to Sam J. Jones, while filming the tilting-disc fight scene, the actors would get covered in paint by the disc that was spray painted silver. They would have to take extra time between each take to wipe silver paint off their bodies.

Note from me: Poor set design. They used cheap paint . . .

~ For the scene in which Dale turns into a giant spider for a dream sequence, Melody Anderson spent six hours getting painted green, wearing fake eyes and fangs, with a head piece that weighed over 20 pounds. When Mike Hodges came in, he said, "This is wonderful, but we can't use this! It has absolutely nothing to do with the script."

Note from me: I'm sure Miss Anderson was delighted to hear that she'd wasted all that time and effort . . . roll
[/size]]

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)

Pow wrote:
It took Ray four days in order to shoot the destruction of the Supreme Court building. He had to laboriously animate each brick or stone that fell, on separate wires.

The wires were held by a specially constructed rig called an aerial brace which was fixed above the animation table. The wires hold the object being animated firmly in place.

Go to the 3:15 mark in the video below and you'll see exactly what Mike is describing! Cool

_ Earth vs the Flying Saucers - Washington Attack

The scene below is my favorite of all the shots during the Washington attack. The full screen version I made a screen shot of shows just how much work Ray put into making the model.

The cropped "widescreen" version doesn't do Ray's model of the Supreme Court building justice (no pun intended).

The full frame version looks expansive, like an IMAX image. Very Happy

The so-called widescreen version looks claustrophobic. It cuts off part of the impressive steps at the bottom and some of the Capitol Dome spire at the top! Sad

The Angry Red Planet (1959)

n a way, Angry Red Planet is very much like my idea for The Four Worlds of the Solar System (<— link / located about halfway down the page at that link), which describes how several advanced races in the Solar System hide their existence from mankind because we're dangerously hostile.

In Angry Red Planet, the Martians let us land on Mars and get within visual range of a city, but they then send us the warning to never land there again!

I love the design of this city! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: