ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 3-1-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:05 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 3-1-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

It is my deep subconscious desire for the members of All Sci-Fi to add interesting posts to the threads below.

Failure to do so might cause me to experience severe mental anguish — and we all know what THAT can sometimes lead to! Shocked

Don't risk it, folks! I won't be held responsible for the consequences! (Besides, I've got an airtight alibi . . . ) Mr. Green

Forbidden Planet (1956)

The interesting and well-written post below is by Orzel-W, and it's way back on page 3 of this thread.

orzel-w wrote:
Thinking further about the Krell machine fabricating things from Morbius' subconscious wishes... The hypothesis of the Krell database having records of Earth animals, so that they're viable once materialized from Morbius' desire, seems to work okay. Then Morbius mistakenly believes they were descendants of specimens brought back from Earth.

But did Morbius never desire anything inanimate, enough for the machine to fabricate it and... surprise! "Hey, where did this freshly brewed cup of Starbucks coffee come from?"

Orzel-W (Wayne Orlicki ) did some fine thinking and fine writing on this subject — but he proceeded from a false premise, so I can politely answer his question by explaining why Morbius would never experience what Wayne described.

The false premise in Wayne's question is the assumption that the Krell machine was tuned into Morbius' human brain the same way it was tuned into the brilliant minds of Krell.

Here's the important difference.

The movie makes it very plain that the Krell machine was flawed because it was was so sensitive to both the conscience and subconscious thoughts of the Krell. As a result, it granted their every wish — both the conscience and subconscious ones.

However, Morbius' brain had been boosted by the Krell educator just enough to make his deepest, most emotion-laden personal concerns strong enough for the Krell machine to sense.

But even then those thoughts were like faint signals from a distant radio station. They weren’t actually clear messages — they were raw emotions and fuzzy images which the machine struggled to interpret.

These important concerns are what created his troubled dreams, the ones he mentions in his post-lunch discussion with the three crewmen.

With that in mind, the answer to Orzel-w's question below become clear.

Quote:
But did Morbius never desire anything inanimate, enough for the machine to fabricate it and... surprise! "Hey, where did this freshly brewed cup of Starbucks coffee come from?"

No, that would never happen. The Krell machine only picked up Morbius' most vital emotional concerns, such as the ones I've described below.

The first of Morbius’ vital concerns was his deep love for Altaira 4, and his plan to "make a home here, far from the scurry and strife of humankind."

But when the Bellerophon crew elected to return to Earth, Morbius became extremely upset.

His objection to being forced to leave Altair 4 was so strong that the Krell machine sensed his anger and resentment towards the other scientist, and it interpreted this emotion as a need to strike out against them — and in doing so, remove the threat to Morbius’ happiness.

Based on the strength of Morius’ anger and his need to defend his dream, the machine created the Id monster which tore the poor people "limb from limb" — and then vaporized the Bellerophon.

Any qualified physiologist would understand that a person's deepest subconscious emotions are not governed by their conscious commitment to rational behavior and civilized actions.

That's why Morbius said the following in the climax: "The beast! The mindless primitive! Even the Krell must have evolved from that beginning."

Think of it this way, guys.

The Krell machine was designed to listen to the Krells' thoughts and fulfill their wishes. But Morbius' thoughts were like someone speaking while standing too far away to be heard clearly. In other words, his human brain didn't "talk" loud enough for the Krell brain to clearly understand what he was thinking about.

However, Morbius' emotionally charged concerns were strong enough to be received by the machine — the ones that were connected with his most heart-felf desires. Deep within the mind of Edward Morbius were those vital concerns, those deepest fears, those strongest emotional ties.

So, when the Bellerophon crew tried to remove him from the planet he desperately wanted to live out his live on, the Krell machine sensed his anguish . . and the reason for it. In response to these concerns, the machine sent out the Id monster to efficiently eliminate this threat to its master — the only mind on the planet that was broadcasting "mental requests".

This permitted the machine to fulfill its primary function after being deprived of this for 200,000 years!

That mind, of course, belonged to Edward Morbius . . . although he was unaware of the Krell machine's connection. Sad

When the C-57-D arrived and Commander Adams informed Morbius that he would be taken back Earth, the machine received more of those faint messages from Morbiius' mind — messages which again conveyed his fear of being forced to leave Altair 4.

Morbius' fear increased when Commander Adams became involved with Morbius' beloved daughter. The fear that Altaira was pulling away from her father and turning her devotion towards the handsome starship captain was something every father must endure when his “little girl” grows up and becomes young woman.

I understand that feeling, because I felt it when my own daughter got married and left home to start a family of her own. She and I have always been very close. She's even a member of All Sci-Fi Very Happy

This, of course, is the reason the Id monster suddenly appeared outside the Morbius home when Altaira confirmed her father's worst fear . . . that she would leave with Commanders Adams, no matter how much Morbius pleaded with her not to go.

Without realizing it, Morbius's subconscious fears and emotions were again sending a message to the Krell machine. The raw emotions could be translated as, "I don't want my daughter to leave! She’s betraying me!"

He even says this is in that dramatic scene. "Young man, my daughter is planning a very foolish action, and she'll be terrible punished!"

The Krell machine sensed these raws emotions, and it interpreted them as commands to grant Morbius' "request".

The result was the appearance of the Id monster, the attack on the house, and the slow and determined melting the door to the Krell lab.

All this was done in the strange manner we see in movie because Morbius' conflicted emotions where sending mixed singles to the Krell machine. Although the machine didn’t receive an actual verbal command, Morbius' emotions might be translated like this.

"I love my daughter . . . but she's defying me . . . so she must be punished . . . and yet I don't want to hurt her!"

Because of these confusing and conflicting "orders" being sent to the Krell machine, it found itself unable to simply materialize the Id monster inside the lab and destroy both Altair and Adams.

The Krell machine was trying to resolve a terrible conflict: a command to kill the person Morbius dearly loved, along with the man she was devoted to!

To complicate the situation even more, Adams made Morbius aware that the machine’s terrible acts of violence were a response Morbius’ primitive subconscious thoughts — evern though those thoughts were those of an intellilgent man with a well-disciplined mind and a kindly nature.

So, a new and disturbing “request” was sensed by the machine. Simply put, the request was this. “I’ve caused all this suffering and death. My evil self is at that door, and I have no power to stop it.”

Ironically, the Krell machine was actually trying to grant Morbius' agonizing wish to commit suicide because he finally realized he was closely connected to — but not responsible for — the deaths of all the people the Krell machine had killed!

As we all know, Morbius forced the Krell machine to grant that tragic wish when he sent the strongest "command" of all in the shocking climax, this time shouting his desparate appeal into the face of Id monster.

"Stop! No further! I deny you — I give you up!"

So, guys — there you have it. Forbidden Planet explained by your brilliant and verbose site admin, Bud Brewster, after spending 66 years analyzing this complex and flawless story.

It’s taken me a long time, but I fancy myself as someone with a deep understanding of this complex story. But then . . . I'm probably the only one who's devote almost seven decades figuring it out.

The Island at the Top of the World (1974)

Wow, you're right about that "catamaran airship", Mike! I like it. Very Happy

But the proportions bothered a little because the hydrogen bags seemed too small to support such a large gondola. So I "Brewsteried" it by lengthening the hydrogen bags, which also gave it a more streamlined look. Very Happy

What do you think? Do the proportions seem more appropriate now?

The concept art of the interior is nice, too. I noticed that the three people are looking down toward the large bridge of the ship, which seems to have a crew of six or more people!

The distance from the deck of the bridge to the ceiling above must be about 40 feet!

Sweet! Cool

Kronos (1957)

You and Mr. Warren did bang up jobs of reviewing this movie.

Bill is right about the silly scenes of poor Jeff Morrow and George O'Hanlon staring down at the telescope view screen and making witless remarks like, "Good Lord, that asteroid just shifted it's trajectory by a good 3%!"

Meanwhile the glowing, pulsating, wiggling fly saucer is zipping back and forth on the screen like a tennis ball at Wimbledon! Rolling Eyes

And I always roll my eyes when alien-possessed John Emery kills poor Morris Ankrum by shoving him up against the protective cage around a group of high voltage electrical switches!

But there's no doubt that Kronos is a highly enjoyable science fiction movie from the Golden Age. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: