ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-9-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-9-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

A super-computer takes over the world and eliminates war. (The foiks in the Ukraine would approve of that idea.) Sad

A movie called High Life gets bad reviews on All Sci-Fi.

The sequel to Blade Runner is discussed, including the unvincing lookalike for Sean Young.

Colossus: The Forbin Project (1970)

Pow wrote:
Ya know, the way things are going in the world these days I'm wondering if ol' Colossus would do any worse if we let 'em run things?

I've had that same thought recently as I've watched the news and seen ample evidence that all our politicians seem to be crooked, stupid, and self-serving. Rolling Eyes

Washington is a complete miss, and a war is raging between Turkey and Syria because some bad decisions have been made and nobody has the brains to undo the damage.

Yes indeed, a computer that prevents wars between nations and puts us to work doing more positive and intelligent things would certainly seem like a better way to run the world.
Sad[/size]

High Life (2018)

Well, the trailer certainly doesn't give us a clue as to what the story is about — but then, they never do these days, eh? Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the warning, Mr. Oaks. Very Happy

_________________ High Life | Official Trailer

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

* * * * * * * * SPOILER ALERT! * * * * * * * *

I watched this movie for the second time today and read various plot summaries and articles that explained the plot, because I was pretty confused after watching it in the theater when it first came out.

The complex plot suggests several interesting questions (as all good complex plots should), so I thought I'd share the questions with you guys. I don't mean to suggest that any of these are plot holes.

Question 1# : Niander Wallace (the successor to Dr. Eldon Tyrell) said he wants to find out how to create replicants that can reproduce, the way Rachael did. He says he can make Replicants faster that way.

Seriously? Does that mean a full-grown replicant takes longer than eighteen years to create — the length of time it takes for a baby to reach eighteen and becoming fully matured? Hmmm . . . Confused

Question 2#: It seems to be generally agreed that the movie doesn't state whether or not Deckard is a replicant. But we do know that Rachael was a replicant and that she gave birth to a baby who was fathered by Dekard.

Therefore, if Dekard is a replicant, then he must produce viable sperm to be capable of impregnating Rachael. Why does the movie never discusses the fact that Dekard was also a special replicant capable of reproduction?

Question 3#: Or was he special? Could all male replicants produce viable sperm? If so, could they impregnate human women who'd then give birth to human/replicant hybrids? Would these half-breeds have some / all / none of a replicant's abilities?

Question 4# On the other hand, if Dekard is not a replicant, then his daughter, Dr. Ana Stelline, is a human/hybrid herself. If that's true, then the only difference between Ana and other children born to human women with replicant fathers (if there are any) would be the genders of each parent. One is human and the other is a replicant. Either way, the offspring is a hybrid.

I realize that the question of Dekards true nature was deliberately left open by this movie, but I still think it makes the most sense (story wise) for Dr. Tyrell to have created special male and female replicants who were capable of producing a child. It's the only interpretation that eliminates all those questions I posed above about human/replicant hybrids.

That, to me, is very strong evidence that Dekard is indeed a replicant.

On an unrelated note, I don't think they did a perfect job of making Sean Young's look-alike resemble Rachael from the original film. Here's the real Sean Young.

And here's the computer-enhanced look-alike from the sequel.

Both her mouth and her eyes looked sad during the whole scene, so this screen shot is not just a momentary show of emotion. But still, I guess it was intentional for the Rachael-clone to look sad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: