ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-17-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-17-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Fiends without faces, space that needs conquering, and planet that's strictly verboten!

Let's race, fellas. When I say go, let's see who can post a reply first — me or you.

GO! Very Happy

Conquest of Space (1955)

I too have complaints about Conquest of Space, although mine focus on the regrettable inclusion of the General's slow mental decline while he delivered sermons about how God didn't want mankind going out into space.

That's the movie's biggest flaw. Rolling Eyes

Steve, I've heard others say that a movie about that fine book would be wonderful, and I certainly agree that "a grand tour of the solar system" sounds wonderful . . . but I can't figure out what the story would be about.

We can't really expect one spaceship to make all those trips in anything less than ten years, and I can't think of dramatic plot that would involve all that time-consuming space travel. Confused

Would this "grand tour" involve multiple, simultaneous missions of several spacecraft? If so, I wonder how we could tie them all together into an exciting plot that gives the audience more to contemplate than just cosmic site-seeing.

Any suggestions? I'm hoping you'll blow me away by pointing out something fantastic I just plain didn't think of! Shocked

But if not, working with you to come up with something is a challenge I wouldn't shy away from. You know me, Steve, I'll crank out a story idea (good or bad) at the drop of a hat! It's what I do, just for fun here on All Sci-Fi! Cool

Fiend Without a Face (1958 England)

Eadie wrote:
One of my classes is anatomy. The "antennae" are actually the optic nerves. The eyes are not connected so it looks weird.

Fascinating idea! Very Happy

The brain creatures in movie are actually pretty accurate to the shape of real brains in several ways. For example, notice the fold on the left at the bottom that looks sort of like a chin and a closed "mouth".

That feature is present in the diagram below.

The optic nerve connects with a normal brain near the bottom, instead of straight out of the top — but only because it has to lead directly to the eyes in the front of the head.

With these brain creatures the "antennae" can sprout out in any direction at all! And remember, these creatures are the product of the old scientist's Krell-like "thought experiments".

They break all the rules just by existing!

So, Eadie, I think your suggestion that those "antennae" are modified optic nerves makes a lot of sense.
Very Happy

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Krel wrote:
I don't know if this has been addressed, but the "curved thing" is the back of the stairway (gangplank?). When retracted, it becomes part of the hull.

Ironically it HAS been addressed . . . by you! Laughing

Eadie was referring to the section of the silver ring at the top of a few images she posted back on page 6 of this thread. Here's the cropped version of one image she posted to focus on the "curved thing".

In my post above I stated in that you had explained what it was.

Krel wrote:
It is the seal for the core pedestal base. It is angled, because the top edge of the core pedestal base it angled.

I mentioned in my post above that my new picture of the equipment rack on the ground showed the ring a bit better because I'd brightened the image.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: