ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-23-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-23-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Behold!

Bud says a few mildly interesting things about the second Fantastic Four movie.

Bud comes up with witty movie titles that combine two-or-more (sometimes a lot more) titles from real movies. Laughing

Bud actually admits he's wrong about Altair 4 being a desert planet! Shocked

Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (2007)

Avengers: Infinity War and Endgame were packed with action and humor — but overall they had a darker feel than some of the older Marvel movies. And audiences world wide loved it. Those two films were adult superhero movies, with the right blend of the realism and fantasy.

I like the Fantastic Four movies, but I think one of the reasons they didn't do well general speaking was that they were less "rough around the edges" than the more recent movies, like Captain America: The Winter Soldier, for example

Seven years has made a difference in the way these films are made, which is why they've gotten even more successful.

The Funny Made-Up Titles Thread!

We all know that science fiction and horror movie titles are sometimes funny on purpose and sometimes by accident. So, it's really easy to combine various titles and come up something that's really funny.

Try your hand at scrambling two, three, and even four legitimate titles to create something truly wacky.

When the War of the Worlds Collide with the Flying Saucers

The Day of the Triffids, the Locust, and the Lepus

I Saw What You Did When You Married a Teenage Werewolf

Earth vs the Bamboo Saucer

Rocketship Eczema (aka Voyage to the Red Skin Rash Planet

Them! from Another World!!

Beast from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Magnetic Robot Monster from the Ocean Floor

The Man in the White Suit from Planet X

Revenge of the She Creature from the Black Lagoon Who Walks Among Us

The Incredible Amazing Colossal Shrinking Man

The Amazing Transparent 4-D Cosmic Neanderthal Man with X-Ray Eyes!

The 30 Foot Bride from Candy Rock Attacks the 50 Foot Woman for Having an Affair With the Amazing Colossal Man!

Abbott and Costello's Flight to the Red Planet Mars!

The Day the Earth Caught Fire, the Sky Exploded, and the World Ended . . . Right After it Stood Still

Fire Maidens of the Queen from Outer Space Battle the Cat Women of the Moon

Invasion of the Saucer Men from the Angry Red Planet Who Attack This Island Earth

The Brain Eating Blob That Journeyed from the Seventh Planet to Attack Target Earth

Target Earth versus the Invasion of the Flying Saucer Men

Conquest of the Space Children in the Damned Village of the Giants

It Conquered the World, the Flesh, and the Devil Girl from Mars

Have Rocket, Will Travel From the Earth to Moon

The She Creature from the Black Lagoon Married a Monster from Outer Space

The 27th Day the Earth Stood Still — and the sequel, The 28th Day the Earth Stood Still

The Monolith Monster from Green Hell that Challenged the World

Visit to a Small Angry Red Planet of the Apes

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Maurice wrote:
As to Altair IV, in the finished film we don't see the full globe, but the Lost Footage section of the DVD shows more of it. This footage probably wasn't color timed, but that featureless pale area sure looks like a body of water, especially in the 2nd pic.

Well, sir . . . you got me. Rolling Eyes

Allowing for the obvious fact that the image is from an aging 35mm print with fading colors, I'm forced to admit that those darker, uniformly-colored areas in the lower quarter of the globe do indeed appear to be large bodies of water.

Therefore, Altair 4 is not a "desert planet".

However, I don't think anyone would deny that actual high-orbit photos of an Earth-like world with an atmosphere we could breath and large areas with liquid water, along with chlorophyll-rich plant life (thus explaining the planet's oxygen content) would just naturally look mostly like this.

After all, an ocean viewed from space through air like ours would just naturally look the way our own oceans do.

But if an alien ocean looked drastically different from ours when seen from space, there must be some fundamental differences in the planet's atmosphere and/or its oceans . . . which means it isn't quite as "Earth-like" as we thought.

The fact that Altair 4 seems so Earth-like that all the humans in the movie are quite comfortable seems to conflict with the way it appeared from space.

And also the way the sky appears from ground level.

I mean, come on, folks! A green sky that shades up to black? Confused

Don't get me wrong, folks, I wouldn't change a thing about this wonderful movie. But it seems obvious that the producers created an "alien world" with Earth-like conditions . . . without making the conditions alien enough to explain its alien appearance!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: