ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 4-24-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 4-24-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Please don't telll me you can't think of a reply to add to these three great threads! Shocked

Star Trek Voyager Thread gives you a place to say anything you want to about any episode of that great series! Very Happy

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958) is a movie with a much-berated title and high-underrated story. Shocked

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) has got to be a terrific movie, because it's a personal favorite of the legendary Bud Brewster, famed site administrator of All Sci-Fi, the best science fiction message board on the internet!

I mean, damn! Just look at how handsome that guy is! Cool

So, get off your butt and help keep this site active and interesting with your own unique posts!

Star Trek Voyager Thread

Custer wrote:
Didn't one of our main heroes die in one episode? However, they'd encountered a mirror-image Voyager, and while that ship got destroyed, they managed to save that vessel's Harry Kim, so he quickly settled in as a replacement, and the fact that he wasn't the original version was, tactfully, never mentioned again...

That episode did indeed raise some interesting questions.

Harry was easily able to relate to his new "duplicate" crewmates because . . . well, they were perfect duplicates! And since he was a duplicate of their Harry Kim, they never encounter situations where they noted any differences.

We could, I suppose, wonder if Harry ever missed the friends he lost . . . but since he had perfect duplicates of them all, what exactly would trigger such remorse?

Harry: (sigh) I sure miss my friend, Tom Paris.

Tom: Yeah, I know what you mean. Sometimes I really miss Harry Kim.

Harry: I wonder what we'd each be doing with them right now if they hadn't died.

Tom: Ummm . . . dating the Delaney sisters? Confused

Harry: Ah- ha! Good idea. Let's go pay 'em a visit!
Very Happy

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)

alltare wrote:
I like this movie, too. As others have said, the title probably turns many people away without even watching it. Conversely, "Plan 9 from Outer Space" wasn't a bad title, and people turned away after watching it.

Steve, my friend, your comment is brilliant in it's simplicity! Cool

Titles can indeed make-or-break a movie! As much as I love The Day the Earth Stood Still, I've always felt the title was bit less impressive than the movie itself. The "Earth" didn't stand still, just all the stuff powered by electricity. Rolling Eyes

So, what would I have called that movie? Maybe something simple like A Man from the Stars.

(Okay, that's not great, but I'm open to suggestions. Confused)

But what should they have named the movie this thread is about? What title would have suited the movie and encouraged the public to come see it?

I think it should be something simple, with a subtle sexual reference and a few overt sci-fi terms. How 'bout —

The Alien Conquest of Earth

Okay, again its not great, but as I said . . . any suggestions, folks? Shocked

Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)

alltare wrote:
Bud-
I'm curious. What other SF movies did you show to the kids, and do you recall which were their favorites?

Bud Brewster wrote:
For five years running I showed this movie to the 4th and 5th grade classes...

Steve, thanks for asking that question! Very Happy

I had to wander back into my aging memory banks to remember if there were any other movies I'd showed the kids in my classes during my 18 years as an teacher!

And even though Robinson Crusoe on Mars was the only film I showed for several years running, there were in fact other movies and movies clips I showed to the kids, including a few non-science fiction clips I used which illustrated historical eras.

For example, when we were studying the Westward expansion, I showed them a wonderful clip from Dodge City (1939) starring Errol Flynn — which included a brief race between a stage coach and a train that demonstrated how technological advancements have changed the world.

I also showed my fifth grade class the 1953 version of Titanic to illustrate how we can become overconfident about technology and make tragic mistakes! Shocked

One of the kids was so obsessed with the sinking of the Titanic (even before I showed the movie) that I had to make him a copy of my DVD-R from Turner Classic Movies so he could watch it at home with his family! Very Happy

And finally, I also showed one class The Space Children . . . just because I wanted to. They loved it. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: