ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-2-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-2-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Again we have two fine posts from the Forbidden Planet threads. We also have a post about The Space Children (1958) that should prove interesting.

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Eadie wrote:
Has anyone thought that maybe Robby used energy fields? — Eadie

Young lady, I really must insist that you STOP being smarter than me! It's embarrassing! Shocked

No, I never thought of Robby using energy fields to move objects (both big and small), but we have numerous clues that he did have the ability you suggested!

The most obvious one is the way he delicately-but-forcefully sweeps the monkey off the table when the hungry critter tries to filch a snack from Robby's perfect fruit arrangement.

This proves that Robby's ability is well controlled and capable of delicate manipulation.

But what about his skills at lifting heavy masses and maneuvering them around safely?

That ability was well demonstrated when he seemed to be balancing ten tons of lead-like shielding on one hand and walking normally! Shocked

If the mass had actually been that heavy, Robby would have tipped over before he took his first step!

Obviously he was just guiding the mass with the hand beneath it, controlling the slabs with the force fields Eadie deduced Robby used whenever his short arms and three-fingered hands were not up to the task! Cool

But wait! There's more!

If Robby can levitate a ten-ton block of matter so easily, he could also maneuver his own body in the same manner when his limited ability to move over uneven terrain presents a problem. And that actually did occur in the movie!

That must be how Robby made his way into and out of the Krell lab to retrieve the unconscious Dr. Ostrow, despite the fact that the steps outside the Krell door and inside the lab would be impossible for Robby to navigate!

Furthermore, this must be how Robby manage to cradle Dr. Ostrow in his arms, carry him into the living room, and lay him down so gently — despite his short arms and lack of elbows.

Folks, in one fell swoop, Miss Eadie has solved several of the most perplexing problems which have plagued Forbidden Planet fans for over sixty years!

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Gord Green wrote:
Well Gee, Bud.....How do you think he went upstairs?

Weren't there scenes in THE INVISIBLE BOY where he "levitated" ?

Well, sort of. There's a strange scene in which Robby is at the bottom of the hill below the rocket he's trying to get to, and after the Army fires on him and creates big dust cloud, Robby is suddenly (and inexplicably) at the top of the hill!

So, if we consider The Invisible Boy as a reliable indicator of Robby's previously unsuspected abilities, that scene supports the idea the Robby can either levitate himself or . . . teleport himself! Shocked

And I certainly agreed about the steps Robby had to negotiate, both outside the lab and inside it to rescue Doc and bring him to the living room.

I realize we're suggesting something that seems pretty ridiculous, the idea that Robby possessed a technological form of telekinesis and could move things around with force fields.

But if we dismiss that odd possibility, we're stuck with the idea that Robby could climb stairs, carry ten tons of lead-like material in one hand, and load 480 pints of bourbon onto the jeep, after which he drove it to the ship, unloaded it . . . and stacked it neatly on the ground against a rock, even though he couldn't bend over that far.

We also have to wonder how the crew got Robby into the ship for their departure.

Eadie mentioned that the conveyor belt was used to unload the tractor (in component parts and assembled on the ground). I suppose Robby could have been laid on the conveyor belt to get him into the ship, but even then the crew would have to get him from the airlock (in the lower level) up to the control room!

I wonder if it's possible that Altaira knew how to disassemble Robby — with directions from Robby himself, whose head would keep talking the whole time?

After all, if we take The Invisible Boy seriously enough to draw clues from it, it shows Robby in component parts, indicating that Robby (in Forbidden Planet) could be disassembled, too. Very Happy

So, taking Robby apart and reassembling him inside the ship's control room is probably more logical than suggesting that he levitated himself up into the ship.

God a'mighty, I love this movie! Eadie and the rest of our members just keep coming up with new and intriguing ideas that are like launch pads; sometimes the ideas they inspire tend to blast off and keep us busy with enjoyable discussions for weeks. Very Happy

The Space Children (1958)

Well, here we are . . . almost five months after I posted my carefully crafted summary of The Space Children on Wikipedia . . . and yet they've left it intact without chastising me for posting such a long and detailed description of the plot. Confused

Bear in mind, guys, that I've submitted several other lengthy plot synopsis on Wikipedia for various movies. And yet I've frequently been soundly rebuked by them — after which my contributions were completely removed!

So, the fact that my The Space Children submission has survived this long is very gratifying! Very Happy

I'm proud of the fact that the entire web-surfing global community is now able to learn about the merits of this great movie from the very person who is the most devoted person to it!

Me. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: