ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-5-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-5-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

The discussion about the Krell educator takes a new turn, and I'd love to hear some thoughts from a few of you members who rarely-if-ever posts. Very Happy

Next is a few interesting thoughts about a 1970s series that should have been a big hit. (Gee, THAT'S never happened before, eh? Rolling Eyes)

And finally, a terrific idea for a series of sequels to Flight to Mars! Remember, Martian Miniskirts are the shortest in the galaxy! Mr. Green

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Krel wrote:
So you reject the idea that a person with a greatly expanded intellect could figure out the puzzle on their own. But someone who has never, as far as we know, used the Plastic Educator, somehow has a mental connection to the machine?

To be fair, David, I really don't reject the idea that it could happen — but I love the idea that the Plastic Educator implants info! If it doesn't have that capability, what does it do that qualifies it as an educational machine a million years more advanced than anything we have?

Forgive me for saying this, but you haven't offered a single suggestion. You just want the students to do their learning the old fashioned way.

Therefore, I think it's much more likely that Doc leaped far ahead of Morbius because he got both a brain boost and the information he needed to solve the mystery in just a few minutes. It's a much better science fiction story that way. Very Happy

Gord Green and I had an hour-long conversation on the phone Saturday, and by the time we finished, we'd agreed on numerous aspects of this subject! Very Happy

For example, we both feel that the Plastic Educator raises the student's intelligence incrementally whenever it senses the student is ready for a new "dose", so to speak. And each time the Plastic Educator is used, the student also gets as much new data as he can handle, based on his current level of intelligence.

In other words, a Krell child would get boosted periodically (not ever time), and he would never be overloaded the way the Bellerophon skipper, Morbius, and Doc were.

Gord and I also addressed the question below, too. Very Happy

Krel wrote:
Bud, you still haven't commented on my question as to whether the Plastic Educator only boosted the brain on the first use. I find it interesting that further use of the PE didn't boost his brain further. If it did, than after two decades of use, Morbius should have been at the top of the scale.

I'm delight that you brought that up! Very Happy

Unfortunately, the Plastic Educator gave Morbius a brain boost that was much too high the very first time, and he "lay unconscious for a day and a night". The Plastic Educator therefore determined that this first dose raised Morbius' intelligence . . . as high as it could go. Sad

And yet, even then his IQ was that of "a low grade moron by Krell standards". The machine reevaluated his intelligence each time he used it after that, but it determined he was already at the top of his game.

You may remember that after making the image of Altaira he said it was "something of a strain".

The Plastic Educator also overestimated Doc's capacity for the brain boost, and that caused his death, just like it had with the Bellerophon skipper. Morbius was lucky enough to have survived, and in his case the Plastic Educator learned from its mistake, so he got no more boosts, because they would have killed him.

However, one of the brilliant revelations Professor Gord Green shared with me on the phone Saturday was that the Plastic Educator did manage to implant modest amounts of data whenever Morbius used it, and one of the key subjects it implanted data about was . . . the Krell alphabet! Very Happy

That's how he managed to decode "most of it" (as he stated).

As Gord put it, the Plastic Educator couldn't give Morbius (the poor "low grade moron") any of the really complex Krell science — but it could at least give him a kindergarten lesson that taught him his ABC's! Laughing

I was mighty impressed by that idea, along with several others which Gord and discussed.

Krel wrote:
I could more believe that Altaira's special relationship to her "Friends" had developed telepathic powers in her, which would explain the tiger's actions, AND knowledge of the attack.

Ah well, we might have to disagree on some aspects of this one.

I've proved six ways from Sunday that the animals weren't real, so Altaira wouldn't need telepathic powers to get along with artificial creatures which the machine created because her father's deep love caused him to wish she had pets to keep her happy on Altair 4.

Krel wrote:
But to shoot my own argument down, it could have been her special relationship with her "Friends" that created a form of connection to the machine. Able to receive images from the machine, on things that are important to her. Hmmm, perhaps it could be both?

Wait just a minute! Hot damn, that's brilliant! Shocked

Professor Green and I never saw THAT one coming! That's so profound I'll have to take a brain boost and drink a few beers to come up with a worthy reply for that new concept! Cool

Based partly on the screenplay's description of the scene in which Altaira calls the animals in the garden and ends uppractically covered in devoted birds of all types, I believe the animals were created anew (but out of sight) each time they were called.

Remember Morbius said, "Sometimes the gauges register a little when the buck deer fight in the autumn or the birds fly over in the spring."

This is the strongest evidence that the animals are created by the machine, because the gauges register power usage, such as whenever the Id monster was created.

Concerning Altaira's animal friends, the machine would make sure the animals were behaving in a manner which pleased Altaira, so it would monitor her thoughts and emotions when she was with them.

Even though Altaira never had a brain boost which gave her the subconscious ability to send the machine "commands" like her father was unconsciously doing, it's not inconceivable that the machine could sense her strongest emotions and deepest thoughts without regarding them as "requests" to create something.

With that in mind, if the machine was specifically designed to interface with the Krell by creating any objects they wanted and by sending them telepathic messages which included any info they requested (the Krell version of Google), we can reasonably assume that a two-way communication developed between Altaira and the machine — unbeknownst to her! Confused

Altaira was not able to control the machine and cause things to be created, but it was interacting with her telepathically.

And so, ladies and gentlemen, that's why Altaira woke up screaming in the middle of the night when she dreamed about the Id attack on the C-57-D! Very Happy

Altaira's rudimentary interface with the Krell machine, based on the machine's need to insure her "pets" were fulfilling their function, caused her to get a "message" from the machine when the man she loved was in dire danger!

Bear in mind, folks, that the Krell machine was designed and built to keep its users happy. Very Happy

Yes, I know — that plan certainly didn't turn out too well . . . but 200,000 years later the machine got a second chance when a shipload of sentient beings landed on Altair 4 who were almost smart enough to put the poor Krell machine back in business! Wink

Unfortunately, history repeated itself, and the valiant efforts of the loyal Krell machine were thwarted again by problems caused by "poor communication". The machine struggled valiantly to understand the murky commands which Morbius' "boosted" subconscious sent it, but they just weren't very clear, and as a result more people died! Sad

By God . . . I love this movie! Cool

Krel wrote:
The fact that Morbius has vague disturbing dreams, but no clear images is what tells me that his ID is hindering his ability to remember his dreams (memories?) clearly. It is protecting his sanity.

Actually, Morbius was quite correct when he said, "What man can remember his own dreams? Very Happy

Heck fire, everybody has experienced the common phenomenon of waking up from a dream and — no matter how wonderful or how horrible it was — the dream fades from our memories in minutes, no matter how hard we try to hang on to it! Shocked

Therefore, Morbius didn't need his subconscious to suppress the memories of his dreams — any more than the rest of us do! Dreams just fade away . . . . and I've always wonder why! But it happens to everybody.

David, my friend, I absolutely love discussing this subject with you and the other guys, because your opinions (which I respect) have challenged me to re-evaluate my own! I'd never have come up with these concepts if I hadn't needed to analyze your points of view, determine how I feel about them, and then put my thoughts into the right words in hopes of convincing you and the other members of All Sci-Fi that I might be onto something.

Naturally I'm not asking you to agree with everything I've said, but I've certainly appreciated the way you carefully considered my opinions and responded to them with intelligent, imaginative, and honest answers! Cool

People like you are the reason I created All Sci-Fi and the reason I've fought to keep it alive since 2006, recreating it from scratch whenever that daunting task became necessary! Cool

Probe / Search (1972-1973)

Krel wrote:

I saw a photo from the pilot on the Facebook page with people sitting in front of the monitor and console. It is a set piece, but the screen really isn't that large. If you compare the size of the keyboard to the monitor, you can see that the monitor is just a little larger than a conventional TV of the time.

Hey, I found that picture!

This seems to indicate that the "big screen" was just a work station which they created and then decided to pass off as main view screen at the front of the room by having all the personnel gaze at the wall in front of them (but out of frame). Then they simply showed closeups of the prop, with superimposed images. Rolling Eyes

However, the Search Facebook page has dozens of great photos (one of which is shown below, posted by a fan) who included the following message with it.

To illustrate the substantial size of the Probe Control viewscreen, here it is, re-purposed (and upside-down) as set dressing for the 1975 TV Movie, 'Strange New World.'

Well, now I'm confused! Confused

The prop in the image with the three actors looks similar to the big screen, although it has a few noticeable differences, so maybe the first picture above isn't the prop after all!

The shot of the prop in Brave New World seems to prove they did build a full-sized version of the Probe Control view screen! But why didn't they ever show it at the front of the room in any of the episodes? Shocked

Flight to Mars (1951)

Bud Brewster wrote:

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

As I described in the post above, think of the possible story lines for a sequel!

Civil war on Mars could divide them into two camps: those who want to invade the earth and those who want be our friends and allies.

The pro-Earth faction builds several rockets and sends ambassadors to warn us of the anti-Earth factions who plan to invade and conquer us.

The rest of the plot in this odd version of War of the Worlds involves Earth being attacked by Martian invaders . . . but also about being defended by Martian allies!

The climax would be a colossal battle — both in space and on Mars — in which the Earth/Martian coalition defeats the hostile Martian forces, frees Mars from the its own brutal tyrants, and unites the two planets!

An era of peace between Earth and Mars begins as the two planets unite to make ambitious plans to mine the asteroids, build Moon bases and space stations, and develope their shared technology to create a fantastic future for both races! Very Happy

Here's an idea for a second sequel. This one would be about an advanced civilization on Venus.

Or rather . . . under it! Confused

The Venusians actually caused the global warming on Venus thousands of years ago, and as the planet got progressively hotter they frantically created underground cities far below the surface to protect them from the rising heat.

During the first century the cities were built in whatever natural caverns the Venusians could find.

But as the centuries rolled by the Venusians developed technology that allowed them to excavate caverns so large they had their own clouds and weather.

The irony of this is that once they had established their beautiful underground cities, they were trapped there by the hellish heat on the surface. Even though their technology progressed to the point where they could build sophisticated spacecraft, all efforts to launch them up through the atmosphere proved disastrous.

If they rose quickly, friction was added to the atmosphere's heat. If they rose slowly, the increased exposure time damaged the spacecraft before they reached space.

Even the upper portions of the tunnels they built to the surface were so hot, construction crews perished the closer they got to ground level! Shocked

On the plus side, boring down into the planet provided the Venusians with a treasure trove of metals and minerals! Their entire civilization was one gigantic mine! Very Happy

And here's a choice bit of irony, too. The intense heat near the surface provided limitless geothermal energy. On Earth we have to drill down to take advantage of that. On Venus . . . they drilled up! Cool

But eventually the Venusians developed highly advanced robots which were made of an incredible metal which could withstand the heat and complete the tunnels to the surface. The tunnels were lined with this metal, too. And spacecraft made of this metal could survive the passage through the scalding atmosphere.

And that's another bit of irony; their spaceships didn't have to survive the heat of reentry . . . they had to survive the heat of departure.

And so at last, the Venusians had a way to leave their inhospitable world and invade that lush, green planet just 26 million miles away — Earth! Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: