ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 5-9-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 5-9-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

More interesting posts about Forbidden Planet. another post about caverns on the Moon, and a discussion about a continent that somebody lost and nobody will confess that is was their fault!

Jeez, just ask yourself, "Where did you have it last?"

I mean, how hard is that? Rolling Eyes

Forbidden Planet (1956)

A few of the actors the article suggests as replacements aren't too bad, but I'm not sure about the ideas to "expand the roles" with things like having Youngerford become "angry about his reprimand and subsequent punishment and does something rash that ends up putting the crew in further danger."

Seems like this would be "gilding the lily", inserting melodrama to make the characters more contemporary and less like well-disciplined military men from a future society, similar to TOS.

David Tennant as the low-brow Cook doesn't seem like a good idea. Tennant is undoubtedly a fine actor, but casting a man famous for playing an extremely intelligent person as a character who's comically simple seems like a bad idea.

Casting Margot Robbie as Altaira doesn't seem quite right. Maybe it's just me, but she just doesn't look much like an extremely sweet, naive, 20-year old.

Gigantic Lava Tube Could Be Home for Moon Colonists

Eadie's image from First Men in the Moon suggested several fascinating concepts. Very Happy

When that movie came out, the giant caverns seemed like a huge exaggeration of anything we might really find beneath the lunar surface. But the diagram below which shows the predicted size of just one of the caverns — with the city of Philadelphia occupying a surprisingly small area at the bottom — dwarfs anything we saw in the Harryhausen movie! Shocked

I realize that the drawing below is just a simplified representation of the size of the cavern, but that thing is SO large I can't help wondering if it could be filled with air and turned into a subterranean lunar world.

That thing is so big that if we filled it with air, it might actually have it's own weather! And if the water ice at the lunar south pole could be transported there, we could have one hell of lake!

The engineering challenges of making the cavern habitable would take a century, at least. The existence of interconnecting lava tubes would make it extremely difficult to seal of the giant cavern so that it held in the air.

The big opening on the surface would have to be equipped with a giant airlock which allowed spacecraft to land and be brought inside.

On the other hand, the numerous lava tubes that branch off from the big cavern would actually have positive side; they'd allow us to expand our underground lunar colony over the next thousand years.

But how could we light such a huge cavern? Confused

Well, the Moon provides ample sunlight for solar panels. But it would be more fun to borrow an idea from the Selenites!

A giant mirror-or-prism at the top of the opening could focus sunlight downward, just like in the movie. At the bottom of the shaft would be a large layer of prisms to refract the light outward and illuminate the cavern below.

This would only work during the lunar "day" in the area where the opening is located. Other means to illuminate the colony would be needed during the 14-day lunar "night".

All this sounds great, of course . . . except that the giant mirror-or-prism interferes with the large airlock which the main opening would need. Obviously it would be best to position the airlock at the bottom of the shaft so that it would be partially protected from meteorite strikes.

I haven't figured out a way to have both the airlock doors and the layer of prisms which would defuse the sunlight. I suppose a large "porthole" could be included in the upper airlock door to pass the sunlight through, and a larger porthole made of faceted prisms could be part of the lower door.

Picture the plastic panels that cover neon lights; they break up the light which passes through and diffuse it in all directions.

The big mirror-or-prism at the top of the shaft would have to be moved out of way whenever spacecraft arrived or departed. The best way to do that would be to mount it on a moveable arm which could be rotated to one side until the opening was clear, and then rotated back into position.

As you can tell, guys, I'm pretty excited by the discovery that good old Mother Nature provided us with these amazing subterranean chambers for a thriving underground lunar civilization. Cool

And I just found an article on the subject call Moon colonization – many lava tube caves, water, and high amounts of titanium which features this artist conception of the lunar colony inside a lava tube.

Notice the ceiling which diffuses the light from above the way I described it (more or less . . . ).

And the title suggests that the area contains plenty of water and lots to titanium for construction purposes!

Could this get any better or what! Shocked
Cool

Atlantis, The Lost Continent (1961)

Pow, I'd love to see the remake you described, but we both know that even though film techniques have greatly improved, today's Hollywood wouldn't produce the kind of remake you and I want.

Society has changed dramatically in the last 60 years, and these days we'd end up with a movie that bore no resemblance of anything like the classics we love from the 1950s. Sad

Consider the difference between The Time Machine (1960) and The Time Machine (2002). These are two very different versions of the classic, one directed by George Pal and one directed by Simon Wells, the grandson of H.G. Wells.

I love both the original and the remake . . . and yet most fans of the original did not!

My point is that even though the noble Simon Wells tried to create a new version of the classic . . . it failed at the box office! Sad

So, is there really any hope that a new Atlantis: The Lost Continent could be made which would please both fans of the classic films like us and the modern young audiences who (frankly) have little appreciation of those "old movie" from the 1950s? Confused

That would be like trying to release a new piece of music which would appeal to both Elvis Presley fans AND the fans of Snoop Dogg!

I rest my case . . . Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: