ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reminiscence (2021)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reminiscence (2021) Reply with quote

I just learned about this movie, so I'll post the review for it from NWPB.org.

Reeder’s Movie Reviews: Reminiscence

Steve Reeder - August 26, 2021

Reminiscence indulges in the well-established cinematic tradition of playing with our perception of time. The French pioneer Georges Méliès did it successfully at the turn of the twentieth century, and Christopher Nolan is doing it in our time. Here, Hugh Jackman stars as Nick Bannister, a researcher in a noirish tale of lost love, regret and conspiracy. His creation, a combination of cocoon bed and holography, allows his clients to access meaningful moments from their lives, with him as their guide to the past. The inventor and his assistant, Emily, an ex-military business partner played by Thandiwe Newton, act as voyeurs, in effect.

However, the tables are turned when this “private investigator of the mind” falls for a beautiful, enigmatic grifter named Mae (Rebecca Ferguson, who co-starred with Jackman in The Greatest Showman as Jenny Lind, the renowned Swedish opera singer). In his obsessive quest to find and/or save her, he travels from Miami to New Orleans and back, confronting drug dealers, organized crime henchmen and his own demons. So much setup, so little payoff.

The script, co-written by first-time director Lisa Joy, wastes most of the opportunity to make the romance or the science compelling. The dialogue, which relies heavily on Twilight Zone-like voiceovers reminiscent of Rod Serling, veers from the obvious to the banal. For example, we learn that “memories are like beads on the necklace of time.” Duly noted.

______________ Reminiscence - Official Trailer

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Unlike in The Greatest Showman, Rebecca Ferguson gets to display her actual singing talents in this movie.

Note from me: I thorough enjoyed The Greatest Showman, although this was mostly because it looked and sounded so good in Imax. However, I don't remember a blame thing about the story Shocked

~ Lisa Joy's original script for Reminiscence was on the 2013 Black List of most liked unmade screenplays.

Note from me: After reading that the script was on a "Black List" I was surprised to learn that this was a GOOD thing! Very Happy

~ Thandiwe Newton and Rebecca Ferguson are also both in the Mission: Impossible universe, each playing the love interest of Tom Cruise's character, Ethan Hunt. Newton was in M:I II, and Ferguson was in M:I Rogue Nation and M:I Fallout.

Note from me: I have the DVDs or the Blu rays of all the M:I movies, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the two ladies in this movie as well.

~ In the aquarium scene a shot with a view from the bottom is used twice: same actor action, but different CGI fishes.

Note from me: Amazing. A real aquarium . . . but with CGI fish. Whodda thunk it? Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: