ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-7-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:07 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-7-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

People who are puppets, a captain whose name is Midnight, and a Star Trek series for us here in the 21st Century, which takes place in the 32nd Century, instead of the 23rd Century like TOS — or the 27th Century if you believe Krel's wacky claims. Laughing)

Attack of the Puppet People (1958)

Opening Statement:
Pow wrote:
I've always been fascinated by the concept of humans being reduced in size.

That explains why you created the interesting thread for the short-lived TV series World of Giants (1959). Very Happy

For members who haven't read it, here's the link.

Captain Midnight (1954 - 1956)

Folks, I continue to be impressed by this wonderful series! Very Happy

It's not only a great science fiction show, it's also very admirable for the way it strives to inspire kids to be loyal to Captain Midnight's noble organization and to follow his motto.

Justice through strength and courage!

The episode below features a prime example of this, a story in which Captain Midnight travels to India to rescue a devoted advocate of world peace (inspired by Ghandi, I'm sure) when he's kidnapped by terrorists.

Captain Midnight tells his sidekick that India has over a thousand members of the Secret Squadron. Shortly after this, he encounters one of them — a young Indian boy who joins Captain Midnight and aids him in his efforts to rescue the kidnapped leader of the world peace movement.

This episodes is a perfect example of why I love this series. It presented American kids in the 1950s with the noble idea that they could become an active member in a world-wide organization — and that they might actually be contacted by Captain Midnight at any moment to help him battle the forces of evil! Cool

Stories that presented this wonderful idea happened frequently in the series. We often saw montage scenes of various Secret Squadron members from all over America, people of all ages who pulled out their pocket communicators and listened to important requests for help from SQ-1 — Captain Midnight himself!

This series — perhaps more than any other in the 1950s — encouraged my firm belief when I was very young that mankind was noble and brave.

I think this inspirational series deserves to be fully restored and presented on high quality DVDs and Blu-rays.

_____ Captain Midnight S1E21 The Mark Of Death

Star Trek Discovery - new series (CBS All Access 2017)

I know just what you mean, Johnnybear.

However, we can't really expect younger audiences to really be too concerned about how these current shows match up with the original series, because it was made before they were even born! Shocked

To the young folks today, TOS is a bit like the old Flash Gordon serials are to us now — laughably old fashioned. And the young folks today don't even have the fond memories of watching it when they were kids, the way we do. Sad

With that in mind, we shouldn't blame modern filmmakers for wanting to rethink the franchise from the ground up. After all, back when TOS was made, Kirk and Uhura's interracial kiss was shocking and controversial!

But in ST: Discovery, the chief engineer and ship's doctor are a loving couple. Both are guys. Times change, and Star Trek had to change with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: