ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-12-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-12-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

We start things off today with some light-hearted fare from Disney, with Jay Underwood doing an early versin of Data.

Then we examine just how badly Peter Jackson besmirched the reputation of King Kong by making sappy love story. Rolling Eyes

And finally we examine the extent to which the X-Men went to "think outside the mutate box" with a story about the first (and biggest bad-assed) mutant of them all!

I'm pretty sure everybody could think of something to say about these productions. (Come on, guys, don't make a liar out of me! Shocked)

Not Quite Human (1987)

I vaguely remember this TV movie, and it was fairly enjoyable. Very Happy

Jay Underwood later distinguished himself in Star Command, the spectacular unsold pilot in which he played a cadet who was compelled to assume the role of captain aboard a training mission on a starship and lead his fellow cadets against a group of enemy ships which were threatening to wipe out the colonist on a newly discovered planet!

You had a great video of it, but now it's gone. Sad

I was delighted to discover that YouTube has the full movie of Not Quite Human — as well as the sequel, which I don't remember seeing.

_________________ Not Quite Human (1987)

_____________________ Not Quite Human 2

King Kong (2005)

Gord Green wrote:
I don't think that is a valid critical reason behind your dislike of this film. Isn't it really that your view is more as a "purist" who could NEVER accept a remake by anyone as anywhere near the significance of the impact of the original?

Nope, that's not it.

I mean, let's be frank. The idea of a huge, viscous monster going all warm and fuzzy with his blond girlfriend and giving her rides across a frozen pond on his belly is pure cornball crap. Rolling Eyes

And then his devoted sweetie pie stands in front of this murderous beasts and begs the guys in the planes not to gun him down. Good lord, did she really think there was any possible way to stop the horrible death and destruction Kong was causing other than killing it? Confused

Peter Jackson's Kong was no different from a rabid dog.

Oddly enough, I think Kong: Skull Island is a terrific movie. Kong was the protector of the island and it' people — despite the fact that those folks weren't exactly fashion models.

That version of Kong is noble and worthy of admiration.

X-Men: Apocalypse (2016)

Good Lord, IMDB has 174 trivia items for this movie! Shocked

Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ Although not in the movie, Sir Patrick Stewart jokingly informed Bryan Singer that he would be willing to play Mystique, should Jennifer Lawrence "start playing up." He said: "I am so ready to be naked, painted blue, and the world is ready for it too."

Note from me: Frankly this is rather disturbing mental image. I'm certainly glad that Bryan Singer did NOT say, "Make it so!" Shocked

~ (at around 43 mins) When Apocalypse arrives at Storm's home, what is playing on her television is the Star Trek: The Original Series (1966) episode Who Mourns for Adonais?, whose story mirrors Apocalypse's own behavior — a powerful entity who was worshiped as a god on old Earth, then meets modern humans and throws a temper tantrum upon learning that they have no more use for old gods.

Note from me: Boy, somebody was certainly paying attention to the fan-based Easter Eggs in this movie.

~ For the role of Charles Xavier, James McAvoy shaved his head. It was something he had actually done before starting work on X-Men: First Class (2011), before he learned that the producers wanted Xavier to have a full head of hair, forcing him to wear hair extensions.

Note from me: "Well, James, there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is, you certainly look like a young version of Charles Xavier! Smile The bad news is . . . Xavier had hair when he was young." Sad

~ In the comics, Mystique is the mother of Nightcrawler, and was forced to abandon him, though this is never acknowledged or hinted at in either this film or X2: X-Men United (2003). However, in an outtake, Jennifer Lawrence ad-libbed a line acknowledging Nightcrawler as her son by Azazel; this take is shown in the gag reel.

Note from me: I wonder just how a mutant lady who is a blue shape-shifter managed to have a son who was a teleporter with werewolf-like teeth and a devil's tail? Perhaps the kid took after his father.

And I challenge you folks to try NOT to image what Nightcrawler Sr. and Mystique looked like during their love making! That's a mental image that give me the willies! Shocked

~ This is the first time in the franchise where Mystique's blue body is achieved by other means than applying extensive body paint and prosthetics.

Note from me: "Well, Miss Lawrence, there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is, we're going turn you blue with CGI instead of using paint. The bad news is . . . we'll have to paint green."

I picked the items above from the quarter of the list in IMDB. I'll stop here for now and give you folks a chance to add some comments. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: