ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-13-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:26 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-13-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Question: What does Forbidden Plant, Iron Man 3, and Avengers: Infinity War have in common? Cool

Answer: I don't' know, but if you figure it out, tell us about it in a few replies!

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Eadie wrote:
Ben Burtt's Sound Lab for Forbidden Planet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfCzxbxztj8

A new mystery!!! Dr. Morbius' Study:

But WHAT is this device behind the lamp?:

Any thoughts or ideas? (See, I've started a new discussion! It pays to be observant.)

Gord Green wrote:
Doesn't really look like a "device" as much as a glass bowl of Krellian potpourri!

Looks like leaves from the Altarian Frutex ….Very fragrant!

Yes, indeed, Miss Eadie — you are the the eagle-eyed mistress of All Sci-Fi when it comes to spotting details in Forbidden Planet that us older folks have missed for over 60 years!

This newest object certainly does look like a glass bowl with something red in it. And the very fact that such a simple and unexpected object would be on the desk next to Morbius makes it all the more puzzling! Confused

Still, the Morbius house is filled with decorative objects, so this glass bowl with the gold rim might be nothing more than that. But I always enjoy finding out about details of Forbidden Planet's amazing sets!

Here's another angle, but it doesn't offer any more details —
other than the way it appears that the red might be a pattern of decorative shapes on the glass, either inside or outside.

Zoom in close and let me know what you guys think.

Iron Man 3 (2013)

IMDB has 135 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ This is the first movie in the Iron Man franchise not to be directed by Jon Favreau, who turned down the offer for this movie in order to direct Magic Kingdom. He later admitted that not directing allowed him to have more fun with his character "Happy" Hogan, saying that he was like "a proud grandfather, who doesn't have to change the nappies, but gets to play with the baby."

Note from me: I'm ashamed to admit that until I read the item above I had NO idea that the man who played Happy Hogan was also the skilled director of the other Iron Man movies! Embarassed

~ Robert Downey Jr. pushed to get Gwyneth Paltrow to have some action scenes, and producer Kevin Feige approved: "We are bored by the damsel in distress. But sometimes we need our hero to be desperate enough in fighting for something, other than just his own life. So, there is fun to be had with 'Is Pepper in danger, or is she the savior?' over the course of this movie."

Note from me: I did indeed like the fact that the Miss Paltrow was made a big part of the action. She pulled it off really well. But then, we knew we could do that from this brief scene in an earlier movie. Cool

________________________ Dixie Normous

~ A Super Bowl trailer that promised an "extended look" had Robert Downey Jr. staring at the camera.

Note from me: Ah, I get it! Robert staring at the camera was "an extended look". Laughing

~ The dragon tattoos on Aldrich Killian's (Guy Pearce's) chest are of another Iron Man villain: Fin Fang Foom.

Note from me: Hey, I had the Marvel comic from the pre-superhero days of Marvel which featured the original Jack Kirby story of the same name!

~ Click to see a larger version.

~ Sir Ben Kingsley played The Mandarin, and Robert Redford played Alexander Pierce in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014). Both were in Sneakers (1992), with Kingsley playing the villain, and Redford the main protagonist. Now, both Academy Award winning actors have been in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Note from me: I have the DVD of Sneakers, an enjoyable movie that didn't do well at the box office — and therefore is dirt cheap ($4.99) on Amazon.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (2018)

So, you're trying to decide what movie to watch while you're cooped up at home with nothing to do but drink all those Corona beers you bought a month ago before they stopped production in Mexico because people decided they didn't like the name! Shocked

(That's actually true, by the way. I didn't make it up. Sad)

With that in mind, here's few suggestions in the trailers below.

And if anybody would like to have a Corona Beer synchro-cinema in All Sci-Fi's Chatzy room, just send me a PM and we can practice some Internet Social Distancing while watching a movie with friends! Very Happy

Getting together through All Sci-Fi is the safest way to spend time with your buddys without the slightest risk of getting the disease that's threatening our global civilization! Shocked

Come on, folks! Let's make the best of a bad situation! Very Happy

__ Marvel Studios' Avengers: Infinity War - Trailer

_____Marvel Studios' Avengers: Endgame - Trailer

___Marvel Studios' Captain Marvel - Official Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: