ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash Gordon reboot in production

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Flash Gordon reboot in production Reply with quote

As soon as this production gets more definite I'll change the name of this thread, but meanwhile here's a few videos about what has happened so far. Cool

_________ Flash Gordon REBOOT In The Works!!

____ Flash Gordon Reboot in the Works - The Know

Chris Hemsworth Reportedly Eyed To Play Flash Gordon In New Reboot

Flash Gordon Sequel News: What We Know So Far

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim, I agree with your assessment completely. Cool

Ironically, back when Star Wars came out in 1977 I read that George Lucas wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie, but he couldn't get the rights. So he made his own version. (I doubt that the statement is true.)

However, George proved that a rousing space adventure which was done intelligently, imaginatively, and sincerely could be a success.

Unfortunately your right, Tim, when you said that the 1980 version would taint any new production. The folks who disliked it will prejudge a new version adversely, and the folks who loved it will want the new version to be just as campy and frivolous. Rolling Eyes

However, the Dino De Laurentiis version is now almost a half-century in the past (a full generation). so maybe the stain it placed on the Flash Gordon character has faded, because the younger generation has had better things to do than watch such a dated film.

After all, this is the age of science fiction and superheroes. With that in mind, perhaps "Flash — Wa-AAH! — Hero of the Universe" can be reborn, and then we'll finally have a movie worthy of a poster this good

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
_________ Flash Gordon REBOOT In The Works!!

Chris Hemsworth Reportedly Eyed To Play Flash Gordon In New Reboot

Flash Gordon Sequel News: What We Know So Far

So, which is it: A reboot, a sequel, or a remake?

tmlindsey wrote:
The 1980 film is a fun experience if viewed as a rock opera and not a SF film, IMO. Dino went way overboard with the production design, and things could have looked great with just a little "scaling back" on the bling. The two lead actors are just terrible but everyone else is perfectly cast.

In fact, the sets, costumes and art direction of the 1980 version hew pretty closely to the look of Alex Raymond's original comic strip.

tmlindsey wrote:
I would have loved to see a FG limited series back in the day, but I don't think that a new version can stand a chance with so many people having Dino's version ingrained in them.

When I think of Flash Gordon on film, the first version that comes to mind is the 1936 serial with Buster Crabbe. But then, I'm from the older older generation!
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm a huge fan of the Alex Raymond's splendid artwork for the FG comics, I just cannot get interested or excited about a FG feature film. I don't know if it's a case of a SF character whose time has past.

So many SF movies and TV series have come along since the inception of Flash. Where once he was unique, now, not so much. The comic strip art is a masterpiece, the serials with Buster Crabbe are fun and entertaining. The 1980 film is quite the eye candy, but going in the camp-comedic direction clearly hurt it. The SYFY TV show was an abomination.

Perhaps there remain avid fans with a keen interest to see Flash & company brought back to the silver screen the right way. Just can't say I'm one of 'em.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I have to say that the posts by Mike and Tim above are so well written that can't think of a single thing to say which disagrees with them.

Damn. . . where's the fun in that? Confused

In spite of the fact that I can imagine a incredible new version of Flash Gordon that would thrill ME to the core — I'm not convinced that modern audiences would see it the way I do.

There have been too many noble efforts like John Carter which weren't appreciated, and I fear that a new [colordarkblue]Flash Goron[/color] production would prove, yet again, that the days of the wildly optimistic and imaginative Monsterkids like we were are now a sad thing of the past . . . Sad

The world has changed from the one in which many of use great up in during the 1950s — an optimistic prelude to a future in which mankind would use science to create a brave new world.

I'm no long convinced that such a world will ever exist. But at least we can dream about it here on All Sci-Fi.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmlindsey wrote:
That's the problem, IMO, with today's constant "creative" output; audiences have no break between Hollywood's jingling keys in their faces to build up anticipation for anything special. Visually it could be striking, but likely not with today's designers relying on over-detailing and graphics plug-in for everything.

Well said, sir.

I'm equally disappointed by the way the public ignores the movies which do NOT deluge our senses with CGI images. Frankly, some of my favorite films are the ones which blend FX with a good story and fine acting — like The Day the Earth Stood Still.

But God forbid that this modorn movie should require the audience to ponder the plot and understand the characters.

The problem, Tim, is that you and I grew up in an age when FX were usuaully less dazzling then today — and they were so hard to produce that movies had to ration them out in small doses.

In between the FX scenes, we only had dialog and character development, and these had to be good enough to hold our interest until another FX came along.

Today the filmmakers can bombard us with FX, and then pad out the film with token scenes of the character.

Sadly, that just doesn't work for us Old Timers. Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: