ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-16-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:06 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-16-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Well, folks, it's time to take a little "time out" so we can travel back in time! Cool

Below we have Two Terminator movies and a great trilogy that could have been called I Was a Teenage Time Traveler!

That's right, the one about this kid —

— who jumped into his 2001 Chevy Lumina with the sonic-powered time machine in the trunk —

— and fixed his dysfunctional family!

]

So, get busy and post a few replies! Hell's bells, time's a' wastin'! Shocked

Terminator Genisys (2015)

I swear, guys, I am NOT just being lazy by pasting the IMDB review below by a user named acconspiracies!

I was just so surprised that we didn't have a thread for this movie that I decided to share the IMDB user's review with All Sci-Fi's members, just to get the thread started.

Besides, if you totally disagree with him, you can say anything you want, because he'll never read it here! Very Happy

Should I be ashamed for LOVING THIS!
acconspiracies 25 June 2015

I am a massive Terminator 1 and 2 fan, I disliked 3 and 4 a lot and I really thought this would be terrible as well!

However I turned out to be wrong! Dead Wrong!

This film has the best Arnold character of them all! He is the most 'human' towards Sarah and I really loved that connection, I can see many people liking it also. It was reminiscent of John Connor and Arnold from T2 which I just saw today . . . I remember seeing the first trailer and having many problems. I thought the story line was too complicated and wasn't respectful of the older films, and I thought the visuals were bad.

I was wrong in both cases.

The story pays massive respect to James Cameron's first two classics! And it wasn't complicated for me. It was a fun story and kept my eyes on the screen. Also the visuals . . . wow the visuals..

I know people said that we will never be shocked again by visuals like we were in T2 and the first Jurassic Park! But the young T800 looks too good to ignore. Wow! The best animation I've ever seen. I can't see the difference between him and the real one.

This is a fun, humorous, emotional action flick that shouldn't be ignored! I loved it! And you know what? I'm not ashamed! Alan Taylor deserves praise!

P.S. I love the soundtrack. I hand it to Lorne Balfe who I know makes great soundtracks from Assassins creed!

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

IMDB has 47 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ During filming, the director had to tell Linda Hamilton to stop smiling when she was firing guns.

Note from me: Yep, Linda is a bad-ass! Very Happy

~ James Cameron considers the film to be a direct sequel to his own films The Terminator (1984) and Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991).

He was not involved in Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003), Terminator Salvation (2009) and Terminator Genisys (2015), so Terminator: Dark Fate disregards the events of these films, as well as the short-lived TV series Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (2008).

In 2017, Cameron commented that while he was generally supportive of those films due to his close friendship with Arnold Schwarzenegger, he was ultimately unsatisfied with them, so he decided to produce a proper sequel himself. This means that Rise of the Machines, Salvation, Genisys and Sarah Connor Chronicles are being described as occurring in alternate timelines.

Note from me: When I get the DVD from Netflix to watch it for the first time, I'm going to watch the first and second films before viewing Dark Fate. Very Happy

~ Producer and series creator James Cameron has stated that he was involved in the movie's writing, but didn't interfere with Tim Miller's direction, as he never visited the set.

However, after the first rough cut of the movie, Cameron stepped in for some uncredited editing (as he is an accomplished editor), finding Miller's version to be "pretty rough [and] pretty long". He admitted that he and Miller had their share of disagreements, which at times "became a bloodbath. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. But that's the creative process, right?"

Miller, in turn, acknowledged the behind-the-scenes disagreements, but stated that many of these came down to "stuff that I had cut that [Cameron] thought was important", and "small lines that I saw as "poetic and beautiful" but which he didn't care for". Miller also said that although he maintained a good relationship with Cameron, he preferred to have more control on his next projects, and would be unlikely to work with him again.

Note from me: I suspect that Mr. Miller's movie was greatly improved by Cameron's assistance.

~ In the early phase of the development, director Tim Miller invited a group of sci-fi writers to brainstorm about ideas for the movie. The group included Greg Bear, Neal Stephenson, Neil Asher, Warren Ellis and Joe Abercrombie.

Abercrombie came up the idea of a human soldier who is surgically enhanced to be stronger, but requires a lot of medication to deal with these enhancements, which would later develop into Grace (Mackenzie Davis).

Note from me: I admire Miller for doing that!

~ Mackenzie Davis was really naked in the scene where Grace fights the cops in the nude. The costume department offered Davis flesh colored underwear, but she declined to use them.

Note from me: When you've got it, flaunt it!

~ In previous installments it is established that dogs can detect and will bark incessantly at Terminators, so humans employ them as an early detection device. In this film the aging T-800, "Carl," owns a dog that quietly allows him to pet it. This subtle detail signals that despite Sarah's skepticism, Carl has in fact become more human and empathetic.

Note from me: That's a pretty effective way to show the change in the nature of that particular Terminator.

Back to the Future trilogy
Hollywood Reporter wrote:
He pointed to 1985's Back to the Future, writing, "Back to the Future SEEMINGLY could be imperfect (why don't Mom and Dad remember Marty?)

To me, the most obvious plot hole in Back to the Future isn't the fact that Mom and Dad don't realize that Calvin Klein was the spittin' image of their son Marty, it's the alarming fact that at the end of the movie Marty wakes up and is shocked to find that his family members have completely changed!

Hell, he grew up with these folks just the way he sees them in that morning scene . . . so why is he surprised by the big change? Marty lived a completely different life in the changed timeline, so he would have all new memories of that life, not the life we see in the movie up to that point!

So, why does he have the "old memories"? The answer is obvious; it's more fun that way. Very Happy

The trilogy is loaded with illogical elements that would be caused by time travel, but Robert Zemeckis skillfully avoided calling attention to these, because he didn't want the move to be confusing or overly complicated.
Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: