ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Without Love (1945)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: Without Love (1945) Reply with quote

I've never seen this movie — and in fact I'd never even heard of it before today! It's a romantic comedy staring Tracy and Helpurn, with Tracy as a dedicated research scientist who hopes to develop an amazing (if a somewhat bulky) "space helmet".

He teams up the Katherine, who takes an interest in his research and agrees to assist him.

Netflix has it, so I put it on my list. IMDB has this to say about the film.

In WWII Pat Jamieson is a scientist working, with Government support, on a high-altitude oxygen mask for fighter pilots.

But he has nowhere to conduct his research in secret until he meets Jamie Rowan, a woman with an unused house with a scientist's basement. Jamie has no hopes of marrying for love (and neither does Pat) but Jamie wants to help the war effort and she likes this quirky scientist and his dog, so to satisfy the proprieties they agree on a business arrangement: a marriage of convenience and partnership.

They happily work on oxygen mixes instead of honeymooning. But as the footing of their relationship begins warm up, Jamie is courted by another man and the old flame that broke Pat's heart is back in his life.

It will take a sleepwalking ruse, dodging in and out of doors, and a working oxygen mask to get them together again.

Okay, so this movie isn't exactly loaded with sci-fi elements, but I couldn't resist starting a thread for it when I found several pictures like this one! I suspect that lab has more delights for sci-fi fans than we can see in this photo, and that helmet is very impressive.

Naturally I'd love to know what ever happened to the prop and if it showed up in any sci-fi films.

]

And the scene in which Katherine Hepburn sneezes in that "space helmet" and then tries to whip her nose must have brought the house down! Laughing[/size]

~ The Space Children (1958)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: