ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-24-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-24-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Under discussion today is the challenging question, "Is the world really cracked, or is the problem confined to the folks in Washington D.C.?"

As on the agenda is one of the alternate universe versions of the Terminator franchise, which has splinted into so my versions that Skynet can't keep up with them. Rolling Eyes

And finally, one of beloved "lost members" — Bongopete — contributed a fine analysis of Earth vs the Flying Saucers, which you can read right above the post included a link for at below.

Crack in the World (1965)

IMDB only has five trivia items for this movie, but I thought the two below would be fun to share. Very Happy

~ Eugène Lourié had two models of the gantry built. The second was made of balsa wood for the explosion scene. This insured complete destruction of the gantry while avoiding the danger of the set being sprayed by shrapnel.

Note from me: I'll have to watch that scene closely next time to see if the balsa wood was convincing.

~ Both Dana Andrews and Janette Scott are mentioned in The Rocky Horror Picture Show song Science Fiction Double Feature, which is a reference-laden homage to b-movies. Dana for Curse of the Demon and Janette for Day of the Triffids.

Ironically, Janette's costar in Triffids is her co-star in this movie, Kieron Moore. Also, during this same year, 1965, Andrews co-starred with Anne Francis in two different movies, and Francis is also mentioned in the song Science-Fiction (for Forbidden Planet).

Note from me:Hey, I've never seen this movie, so when I listened to the song below it was first time I heard it.

It's terrific! His two versions are slightly different. I think the first one is the better of the two.

_____________ Science Fiction/Double Feature

____________ Science Fiction / Double Feature

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (2003)

IMDB has 204 trivia items for this movie. Here’s a few of the ones I found the most interesting, in the blue text. Very Happy

~ The studios had long wanted to make a sequel to the previous Terminator films, but for a long time Arnold Schwarzenegger refused to do it unless James Cameron was directing.

Cameron eventually told his friend to "Just do it and ask for a shit-load of money," reasoning that the character was as much Schwarzenegger's as it was his. Schwarzenegger confirmed this in a talk-show interview, saying that when he asked, Cameron told him to "take the money and run".

Note from me: Frankly this movie is not too bad. What makes it hard to fully embrace is the fact that Cameron's film's set such a high bar, films that are just "not too bad" tend to be disappointing. Sad

~ Arnold Schwarzenegger worked out for six months, about three hours a day, before shooting started, by which time he said he had the exact same body weight and muscle measurements as he had 12 years previously while shooting Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)

Note from me: I'd be pleasantly impressed by this remarkable achievement . . . if I weren't so damned unreasonably envious of him. Confused

~ The gas station at which the Terminator stops for refueling is the same gas station seen in all three Terminator movies. In The Terminator (1984) it was shown at the end where the pregnant Sarah stops before driving to the Mojave Desert. In Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991) it is where Sarah camps in for the night after she escapes from the hospital.

Note from me: I can't find confirmation of this. Seems like somebody would have written an article about how fans frequently drop in and take pictures. This item might be false. Rolling Eyes

~ Edward Furlong was originally supposed to reprise his role as John Connor. However, in December 2001, it was reported that he had been dropped from the film, allegedly due to a substance abuse problem. He was replaced by Nick Stahl shortly before filming began in April 2002.

Note from me: If Mr. Furlong's acting talent had improved with age (as all actors should), his presence would have been a real plus for the movie.

~ Arnold Schwarzenegger put up $1.4 million of his salary to ensure that a key scene in which a construction crane smashes into a glass building was shot. The director, Jonathan Mostow, was apparently worried that the film was going to run behind schedule and over budget.

Note from me: I must admit, that scene with the wildly swinging crane going down the street was impressive.

__________________ The Chase: T-850 vs T-X

~ Stan Winston and his team constructed flawless, life-size, fully-operational robotic replicas of Arnold Schwarzenegger and co-star Kristanna Loken because certain sequences involving fire and explosions were too dangerous for them to perform.

Note from me: I wonder what lucky guy got to take home the replica of Kristanna Loken . . . and what he did with it when he got there . . . and if he got hurt doing it? Shocked

~ This movie disregards T2 3-D: Battle Across Time (1996) as if it never happened.

Note from me: Behold! The event that never happened! Cool

__________Terminator 2-3D: Battle Across Time

~ The "Sgt. Candy" scene, which was included in early prints of the film, explains why all the Terminators look like Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnold's character (Sgt. Candy) has a Southern US accent. When one of the scientists questions it, another scientist replies (in an Arnold voice over), "We can fix it." The actor portraying this scientist is Jack Noseworthy. This scene is available as a special feature on the DVD version.

Note from me: If this doesn't crack you up, you have NO sense of humor!
Laughing

___________Terminator 3 Sergent Candy Scene

Earth vs the Flying Saucers (1956)

Damn fine analysis, Bongpete. I completely agree!

The aliens were obviously trying to muscle in and scare us into cooperating, but if we had knuckled under to them, I think the collaboration would have benefited both sides. Admittedly mankind as a race would have hated doing this (many countries would have rebelled no matter how the aliens acted), but if we'd been willing to kiss a little alien booty to get the benefits of their technology, we'd have gotten a good deal.

And THEN we could whip the wrinkled old bastards!
Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: