ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KIN (2018)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 3:13 pm    Post subject: KIN (2018) Reply with quote

This is going to sound very familiar, guys, if you recently read my post about Bleeding Steel (2017).

This is another case of "good news and bad news".

The good new is that this trailer makes the movie look wonderful!! Very Happy

_____________ Kin - Official Trailer #1 (2018)

The bad new is that this action-packed story got horrible reviews, despite being about a boy who finds an alien weapon and makes good use of it when faced with bad guys.

The budget was $30 million, but the weak box office was just $10 million. Sad

As I comment in the post about Bleeding Steel it amazes me that the trailer presents such a promising movie, despite the fact that it's apparently very disappointing.

However, I put this one and Bleeding Steel on my Netflix list, just in case one-or-both turn out to better than the critics and the public thought it was.

As I said previously, that's happened before, folks!

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ The movie was based on a dream one of the directors had involving a young boy sitting in a run down mid-western hotel bathroom analyzing a futuristic weapon. This scene was later incorporated into the film.

Note from me: The funny thing about dreams is that they seem so real and vivid when we have them . . . and yet they usually fade quickly from our memory quickly, soon after we wake up!

But why? Is there some strange reason the brain "dumps" the memories of our dreams so rapidly?

If a device like the one in Brainstorm is ever invented, replaying one's own dreams might have an unexpected, unwanted effect on our psyche. Sad

~ Jack Reynor was chosen to play the brother because the filmmakers felt his mannerisms and voice reminded them of Bill Paxton, an actor the directors had wanted to work with but never had the chance to due to his unfortunate death in 2017.

Note from me: I love the late Mr. Paxton's performances, so it will be interesting to see if Jack Reynor's acting it similar in some way.

~ It was a box office bomb, grossing just $9 million on a $30 million budget

Note from me: There are several movies that I like, despite the fact that the critics and the public disagreed with my opinion.

~ The movie is an obvious homage to James Cameron's films. The fictional county where Jimmy and Eli are held at the police station is Sulaco County, a reference to the USS Sulaco from Aliens (1986).

Note from me: I'm not sure that the use the ship's name from Aliens qualifies this movie as "an obvious homage". But the next item adds credence to the claim.

~ The climax of the film involves a shootout in a police station, similarly to the iconic scene in The Terminator (1984). Elijah can be seen playing the arcade version of The Terminator 2 earlier in the film.

Note from me: I guess the saying, "You should have led with that," applies here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: