ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 7-6-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:14 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 7-6-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Don't miss today's Thrill Packed episode of — "Thursday's Featured Threads!"

See tools from Ace Hardware, roaming the jungle on Skull Island!

Thrill to a beautiful wall sculpture inspired by Forbidden Planet . . . created by Charles Bronson!

Gasp when you discover the butt-load of lies which Edward Morbius told absolutely everyone in Forbidden Planet!

This is the greatest Featured Thread post ever in the history of the Universe!

King Kong (1933)

Found this on the Classic Horror Film Board.

skull island escapee wrote:
Nobody seems to have yet spotted those damned pliers that were 'converted' into a passing creature in the miniature jungle undergrowth!

Skeletonpete discovered this rare shot. Gee, I'm surprised I never noticed this before! Laughing

Another member added this funny reply.

CapnDunsel wrote:
Where? I don't see them. Are they near the little hammer that's climbing up the screwdriver?

CHFB member Tim Smyth replied, further down the thread, with this:

Tim Smyth wrote:
Nope, I don't see them either, maybe you're seeing a trick with lighting or something, but it's just not really there, like some kind of tool mirage.

Great image by the way.

I really don't think that tool incident ever happened, kind of a King Kong urban legend.

On a serious note, has anybody here at All Sci-Fi ever heard about a pair of pliers being converted into a Skull Island stop-motion model?

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Orzel-w urged me to include the info I learned about the wall-mounted sculpture we thought was part of the Sasha Brastoff pieces that decorated the Morbius home, the one that has the title of the movie at the bottom of the picture Butch first posted.

Here's the email I go from the artist, Charles Bronson (no relation to the actor, when I asked him about it.

cbhome1@juno.com

Dear Bruce:

Well, the 1956 film Forbidden Planet is one of my favorite 50s sci-fi films. No, the sculpture was never used in the film, the title is an homage to the film, but my work has been featured in two independent films over the years.

Warm Regards;
Charles Bronson

Forbidden Planet (1956)

larryfoster wrote:
Glad you prefaced your post with that 'sarcasm' disclaimer statement!

The idea that Morbius created the tiger, etc. Earth animals... comes from that stinking, lousy, novelization of the movie - by W. J. Stuart (the mystery novelist Philip MacDonald writing under the pseudonym). After enjoying the movie for many years, I was talked into buying that so called 'novelization' in paperback. After reading it... I threw it in the trash! That is not the esteemed Dr. Edward Morbius of my idolism!

Larry, if you're saying that Morbius didn't create the animals consciously, but the machine produced them based on his subconscious thoughts, then I agree with you, completely! Very Happy

My belief has always been that the novelization is correct in at least one way -- the machine created the animals without Morbius' knowledge, based on his fatherly concern for the fact that his daughter was lonely.

I do NOT believe that Altaira just lucked out one day and obtained her own petting zoo when a group of descendants from the captured Krell specimens (200,000 years ago) just happened to show up.

I can't figure why anybody would think such an interpretation is more likely -- much less more interesting -- than the intriguing idea that some strange force was creating pets out of thin air for Dr. Morbius' lonely little girl.

After all, we know the Krell machine was built to grant wishes. But Dr. Morbius didn't know this. Being a good daddy, he pondered the problem of how to make his daughter happy with no other kids around to play with.

One day an idle thought came to mind: It was too bad Altaira didn't have a puppy. Or a few deer, a monkey, and a nice friendly tiger. You know, anything furry that would scamper around and lick her pretty face (as long as it was house broken. Very Happy )

Why, you may ask, did Morbius wish for a tiger?

He didn't, of course. He just knew his little girl giggled and squealed with delight whenever she looked at pictures of animals in the books he gave her, and he imagined his darlin' daughter cavorting around the garden with her own little menagerie.

Sometime later, the animals started showing up. Did this convenient-but-mysterious occurrence perplex Morbius?

Hell yes!

But remember, he does NOT know that the Krell machine grants wishes. And the Krell machine doesn't quite understand what Morbius is really wishing for at any given moment, because by Krell standards his intelligence is comparable to "a low-grade moron" (according to Morbius himself).

That's why the machine went a little overboard when Dr. and Mrs. Morbius didn't want the Bellerophon crew to make them return to Earth.

Morbius and his wife wished they didn't have to do that.

The machine's solution: tear all the people limb-from-limb and vaporize the ship.

There. Problem solved. Very Happy

My long and witty post that Larry referred to (pause for modest cough Cool ) was intended to make hash of the ridiculous notion that Morbius ever intentionally did anything at all with the Krell machine. Ever.

And Morbius was not lying about anything, either. Find one single lie Morbius' ever told, and the whole climax becomes a very misguided joke.

I mean, come on, people, let's be logical about this. If Morbius already knew what the machine was for and he'd consciously used it in any way whatsoever, then all those anguished faces he makes during the climax are just Eddie's ham-bone attempt to portray a tragic figure for the benefit of his small two-person audience.

Good grief, does anybody really believe Morbius was faking those tortured expressions? Just look at this poor miserable man! Are we really supposed to believe he's trying to fool us?

Why the hell would he do that?

And in this shot, Morbius shouts --

"Guilty! Guilty! My evil self is at that door and I have no power to stop it!"

That's it in a nutshell, folks!

Until the big revelation, he did NOT know what the machine was for, he did NOT know what the machine could do, he did not know it had wiped out the Krell race, he didn't know it had killed the crewmen of both the Bellerophon and the C-57-D, and he had no conscious control over it -- even when it was about to kill his own beloved daughter!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: