ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 8-20-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 8-20-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Even a James Bond movie in this trio of films can't elevate it very much. The Gamma People is deadly dull, and the The Giant from the Unknown has a plot which moves as slowly the resurrected conquistador who is allegedly so frightening. Rolling Eyes

I don't think I would have been impressed by it if I'd seen in 1958 at the Roosevelt Drive-in —

— even if my Dad and I had gotten the car fixed in time to take the family on a Saturday night. Very Happy

___

From Russia With Love (1963 England)

_____

Sean Connery's second outing as 007 exhibits a bigger budget and slicker production values than Dr. No. Although the producers still hadn't realized how gadget crazy the fans of James Bond were, they did appreciate the importance of action and girls in the world of 007.

With those key ingredients in mind, From Russia With Love gives us Daniela Bianchi as a Russian defector who falls for Bond's charms, and Robert Shaw as a trained-to-kill-Bond assassin. The fight between Connery and Shaw on the Orient Express is perhaps the most exciting scene in the entire Bond series.

Although From Russia With Love lacks the trademark Big Battle Scene that capped off several of the later Bond films, it does have several unforgettable one-on-one fights -- such as Bond-versus-Shaw, Bond-versus-a-helicopter, and Bond-versus-Rosa-Klebb (the gnarly little SPECTRE agent played by Lotte Lenya).

The overall feel of From Russia With Love is typified by the appealing title theme, so different from the gutsy themes for Goldfinger and Thunderball.

Directed by Terence Young.

The Gamma People (1959 English)

The setting is a little town in a fictitious European country, and the plot of this small-scale sci-fi tale involves a mad communist scientist (Walter Rilla) who is using a gamma ray treatment on children; some of the kids are turned into artificial geniuses, others become automaton slaves.

Two visitors (Paul Douglas, Leslie Phillips) stumble onto the evil scheme. Eva Bartok (The Crimson Pirate) plays the lady in distress.

The film offers few special effects or electronic gizmos to amuse sci fi fans, but writer-director John Gilling includes an effective mixture of humor. Music by George Melachrino, who later became well known for his "easy listening" albums.

This movie was originally co-billed with 1984.

Giant from the Unknown (1958)

______

A murdering Spanish conquistador (played by professional fighter Buddy Baer) is revived by lightning in the 20th century (How's that for an original monster?).

He's a bit like The Golem: a slow, lumbering, destructive force that cannot be stopped. Director Richard E. Cunha was famous for low budget efforts such as this. His other big hits were Missile to the Moon and Frankenstein's Daughter.

The presence of Morris Ankrum in the cast is the film's chief asset.

Watch the trailer first to get yourself in the mood.

____________ Giant from the Unknown - trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: