ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 8-24-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 8-24-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Three post from three threads about thread very different story premises.

~ Person of Interest - (CBS 2011—2016) is about a man armed with hi-tech tools which allow him to thwart acts of terrorism.

~ The Monster of Piedras Blancas (1959) is low budget copy-cat of a

~ Most Dangerous Man Alive (1961) is . . . well, just read my post and find out why this one ain't so hot.
Rolling Eyes

Person of Interest - (CBS 2011—2016)

I've recently become a fan of this show, and it occur ed to me that one reason I enjoy it so much is that it reminds me of an old show I've loved for years -- Search.

In both series, a lone agent is connected electronically to a hi-tech support person(s) who feeds him info through hidden earpieces and calls for help when the agent gets in trouble. And look at the two posters above -- they reflect the premise of the two series using the same graphic composition! Very Happy

Anybody else remember Search? Anybody else a fan of Person of Interest?

Best of all, anybody else a fan of both shows like me?
Very Happy

The Monster of Piedras Blancas (1959)

Low-budget clone of the "Black Lagoon" creature, about a remote seacoast town whose citizens are terrorized by a monster. Some of the gory scenes are disturbing (the monster carries a severed head around by its hair).

The monster suit is pretty good — gruesome and toothy and tall enough to be imposing, with long claws on its huge catchers-mitt-sized hands. The suit was designed and worn by the film's producer, Jack Kevan, who also helped design the famous Black Lagoon creature.

Naturally there's a pretty girl (Jeanne Carmen) threatened by the monster, and a stalwart hero (Don Sullivan) who confronts the beast atop a lighthouse. In one romantic scene reminiscent of "From Here to Eternity", a young couple is shown in intimate embrace on a surf-washed beach.

The fact that the young man has his diving mask pushed up on top of his head sort of spoils the moment, but hey . . . love is never having to say, "Take the damn thing off, silly!"

Directed by Irwin Berwick. Also starring Les Tremayne ("War of the Worlds"), Forrest Lewis, and John Harmon.

Most Dangerous Man Alive (1961)

Another story about a person who survives an atomic blast and then turns into something bizarre.

Thank God radiation doesn't really do crazy things like that to people — because if it did, Japan would have been overrun with mutated survivors of the bombs at Hiroshima and Nagasaki!

That would have made a great idea for a movie — if it weren't so insensitive to the actual tragedy those poor people suffered.

Anyway, in this movie, Ron Randell (as a gangster on the run) does better than most A-bomb survivors; he becomes invulnerable (ala Superman). He uses this condition to get revenge on his underworld buddies who framed him and sent him to prison.

The cast is a strong plus. It includes the great Morris Ankrum, veteran of 15 sci-fi movies from the 1950s (the record holder for that honor) and the lovely Debra Paget ("Princess of the Nile", "From the Earth to the Moon").

Despite an interesting concept and a potentially good cast, director Alan Dwan demonstrates so little skill that most of the scenes look like clumsy screen tests. The script by James Leicester and Phillip Rock imposes a wealth of bad dialogue on actors who deserve better.

Illogical plot developments occur more often than commercial breaks during a late late show. The music by Louis Forbes is consistently limp and sleepy. The only special effect (a mediocre one) involves a scene in which Randell's enemies try to kill him by luring him onto an electrified metal plate.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: