ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Land Unknown (1957) - Carl, the amazing survivor!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: The Land Unknown (1957) - Carl, the amazing survivor! Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: I've always been intrigued by the character of Dr. Carl Hunter (played by Henry Brandon).

He survived alone for ten long years in a prehistoric world of pitch-black darkness for six months each year! One of his most aggressive survival strategies was to roam around this savage land and smash the dinosaur eggs . . . thereby reducing the number of beast he'd have to deal with!

My question is this.

After being rescued at the end of the movie, would Dr. Hunter turn his terrible experience into an opportunity to become incredibly rich and successful? Confused

~ My Theory: Because of Hunter's detailed knowledge of the Antarctic prehistoric world and its unique ecosystem, he could easily charge a large fortune every time he agreed to serve as the guide for scientific expeditions which journeyed to this hidden land of dinosaurs.

And he would also make a fortune from books he wrote about it! Some of these would be scholarly reference works with a wealth of facts, and others would be exciting "true tales" of his amazing ten-year ordeal! Shocked

The incredible wealth which Dr. Hunter earned from these enterprises would make him more than enough money to finance his own expeditions to the hidden valley . . . for the express purpose of collecting specimens of the very eggs he used to smash! Shocked

These eggs would be priceless on the black market, simply because their unauthorized removal from the hidden valley would be strictly prohibited by international law! Shocked

But Hunter would be convinced (with some justification) that he'd earned the right to acquire these eggs because of what he endured for a decade in The Land Unknown.

If a sequel had been made in the late 1950s of this movie — and the concept I just described was the basis for the plot — I'd want Dr. Carl Hunter to be treated the same way he was in the original movie! Very Happy

~ We thought he was a villain, but it turned out he was not!

~ We thought he would suffer a violent death . . . but it turned out he did not!

~ We disapproved of his behavior at first, but then we found out that he was remarkably sane and noble — in spite of the traumatic experience he'd suffered!

In this sequel, we learn that he's trafficking in illegally obtained dinosaur eggs . . . but in the end we discover he's actually making amends for all the eggs he smashed! Shocked

Dr. Hunter is actually donating the eggs he collects to several reputable scientific organizations around the world who can't afford the outrageous price being charged by the official agency who protects the ecosystem of the Antarctica Prehistoric Preserve!

I think this is a worthy continuation of the great story in The Land Unknown. Cool

If Hollywood in the 1950s understood the value of "movie franchises" the way they do today, The Land Unknown would have spawned several great sequels! Cool

(I just tossed this out to encourage a discussion. I hope we get one.)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I ask is that the sequel employ either Willis O'Brien or Ray Harryhausen to perform their stop-motion animation wizardry for the dinos. PLEASE!

As I've written before, the practical sets and matte paintings for this movie are quite marvelous. So we should keep them intact just as they are.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compromise; we use CGI to perfectly replicate the lizards, the alligators, the man in a rubber suit, and the puppet Plesiosaur.

That would mean they could used my improved design for the T-Rex! Cool

BEFORE "BREWSTERIZATION"

AFTER "BREWSTERIZATION"

I honestly don't remember how I created the legs and tale for the modified version!
Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: