ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject: Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (1961) Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: Could the Seaview have been a magnificent "underwater" Enterprise if series had been more like Star Trek and the captain had been a daring, handsome young man like William Shatner who was in command of an appealing crew like the folks on our favorite starship?

~ My Theory: Well, duh! Hell yes! Shocked

The design of the Seaview just screams Adventure Vehicle, and that's exactly what we all yearned for back in 1960s. That's why Star Trek captured the hearts and minds of young people all over the world. Cool

It even had the ability to fire the marine version of "photon torpedoes"!

The only thing the Seaview couldn't do that I kinda wish it could was get from one global location to another in a matter of hours — faster than any ocean-going vessel in the world.

A submarine with extendable hydrofoil fins that allowed it to race along the ocean's surface when necessary is the obvious answer! Cool

I modified the Seaview using this photo of a model.

I lowered the engine pods so they'd be down in the water when the ship accelerated and rose up to skim along the ocean surface on the hydrofoil extensions I added (a bit crudely) to the image below.

This would give the Seaview the ability to travel on the surface at about 60 mph, the speed of the Pegasus-class hydrofoil.

_____

At 60 mph, the Seaview could travel from New York to London (3,459 miles) in less than 59 hours, or about two-and-half days. Very Happy

This would make it possible for our aquatic version of the Enterprise to cruise around the global in a manner similar to warp drive, that marvelous invention which allows humans with very little patience to enjoy space travel.

Krel wrote:
Bud, a problem with your hydrofoil fins, they aren't long enough.

Sadly, I knew that was true when I created the picture, but the hydrofoils looked so cool the way I drew them that I just didn't have the heart to make them lower down where they needed to be, simply because the good old Seaview wouldn't still look beautiful in the underwater scenes with my outlandish additions. Very Happy.

However, what if the hydrofoils could mechanically extend whenever they were used, lowering them down so that they appeared like this when skimming along the surface.

As you can see, putting the hydrofoils further down from the Seaview the way they should be to work properly just doesn't have the same aesthetic appeal as my original version. Very Happy

Obviously I just lowered the horizontal parts of the hydrofoils and stretched out the vertical struts — which is not the way the Seaview would be look if it actually had the mechanical ability to extend and retract the hydrofoils at will. Rolling Eyes

Sadly there's only so much I can do with a rather fuzzy picture of a model and the very versatile Paint.net program.

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hydrofoils look terrific, Bruce, and the idea of having a Seaview that can travel much faster because of them would give the sub the ability to get around quicker for certain stories where its speed would be imperative to the plotline.

One story idea I've had would be the Seaview discovering and confirming the existence of Atlantis. In this story they find that certain sections of the mythological continent were able to survive the sinking via fantastic technology.

Generations of Atlantians have flourished over the centuries.
Now, with the assistance of the crew of the Seaview, these Atlantians are able to rejoin the surface world. However, is that what the surface civilizations desire? What are the political, environmental, military considerations? Does Admiral Nelson have the right to make that decision for the rest of the world?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea. And by gum, great minds think alike! Very Happy

Until I read your post above, I'd forgotten abut the thread I started on Jun 14, 2022 called What if Atlantis still exists? in the Sci-Fi Discussions in General forum.

Since it never attracted any attention there, I decided to move it to this new forum,. Maybe it will finally get a few replies!

Since it was first posted five months ago, moving it here caused it to be placed at the bottom of page 2 of this forum. So, I posted a reply to "bump" is up to the top! Mr. Green

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: