ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Earth vs the Flying Saucers - Thinking Outside the Plot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Earth vs the Flying Saucers - Thinking Outside the Plot Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

~ A Question for the Members: Did one of more alien beings survive in the downed saucers? If so, could they have been confined and interrogated for more information about their species!

~ My Theory: We can safely assume that the ships were equipped inertial dampers, because we see Hugh Marlow and company experiencing no acceleration when the ship they were aboard zoomed out into space.

Therefore, even though the magnetic disruptor weapons were used by the military to bring the saucers down, there's no reason to believe the aliens were harmed when the ships crashed. Inertial dampers are the ultimate seat belts!

Admittedly none of the saucers that weren't badly damaged by the crash seemed able to rise back up and fly away — such as the one in the Potomac River or the one that slide up against a building at street level.

But even though the propulsion system was damaged by the magnetic disruptors, the inertial dampers might not have been affected.

I think we might have ended with up a few alien prisoners of war!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Nov 07, 2022 1:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud wrote:
"I think we might have ended with up a few alien prisoners of war!

Good question and could lead to further investigations of this alien species. Like the Krell investigations, this likewise could be a story in itself, (before they attack again).
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, Tom! I've even had some ideas about a second group of saucers that went to a difference planet, and we learn about ths group when we translate data from the Infinitely Indexed Memory Banks aboard the captured saucers.

After the battle on Earth, this second group was joined by a few saucers that escaped destruction and fled. They would share their the knowledge they'd gained before being defeated, and they'd us it to prepare for a second assault!

Morbius
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always liked how they could manipulate time. If you have a car that goes 100 mph and you make 1 hr one second, it would be traveling at an actual 360,000 mph, if my math is correct. I find the time manipulation interesting especially in an early Scify movie!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Tom!

I think this movie is loaded with interesting science fiction concepts which are largely ignored by the folks who dismiss the story, even though the praise the special effects.

In realize that they had to explain the complex concept of time dilation to the audience on 1956, so they cheated a bit by having Hugh Marlow say that his watch had stopped and he couldn't feel his pulse! Rolling Eyes

Naturally nothing inside the saucer would be affected by the fact that time was passing at a different rate for them than for the rest of the universe at the moment.

But it's a forgivable (and deliberate) "mistake" for the sake of getting the idea across to the audience. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: