ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just Like Heaven (2005)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Just Like Heaven (2005) Reply with quote

This movie is awesome. But . . . what is it about?

It presents itself as a enjoyable romantic comedy in which Reese Witherspoon is a brilliant, dedicated young hospital resident who saves more lives each day than any three of the other doctors.

But then she apparently dies in a car crash — and yet, she doesn't know she's dead. Confused

Mark Ruffalo is a young man who rents the late doctor's apartment, but then has to figure out how a lovely blond keeps appearing and ordering him to leave her home! Shocked

Gentlemen, a careful analysis of the plot reveals that this isn't a fantasy about the ghost of a dead woman who haunts a young man until they fall in love.

In short, this is NOT The Ghost and Mrs. Muir.

I must confess that being an agnostic, I question the existence of "souls". Sad

But being a science fiction writer, I acknowledge the possibility that human beings might have a "non-corporeal" element to our existence. Very Happy

After all, as the smartest critters on the planet, perhaps our intelligence is a combination of our brain matter and something composed of pure energy — and it's something we can't yet detect!

With that in mind, I propose that Almost Like Heaven is the story of a brilliant female doctor whom we see apparently killed in an auto accident. But the non-corporeal element of her being isn't aware of this. So, she struggles to understand why she can't interact with the real world, even though she feels like she's still alive.

Mark Ruffalo is the only person who can see her (for reasons not explained) after he rents the apartment formally owned by the lovely young doctor.

The plot is a complex yarn about how the disembodied Reese Witherspoon teams up with the real-world Mark Ruffalo to figure out why these two star-crossed lovers seem to exist on separate plains of reality, when they'd much rather be rolling around naked in bed! Cool

_________________ Just Like Heaven - Trailer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: