ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 12-9-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 12-9-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

If I were running a hugh hi-tech drive-in theater and scheduled a family triple feature, the movies below would be perfect.

A thrilling science fiction movie with a unique plot, and two highly amusing sci-fi comedies. What a night that would be!

The Abyss (1989)

James Cameron is one hell of a story teller -- especially science fiction stories.

In this one, he presents a very novel idea, sparing no expense to present unbelievable events in a totally believable manner, and he populates the story with characters you just love to death.

Add to this the fact that I firmly believe the undersea life forms evolved right here on Earth and we just never knew about them because of the monumental difference between their environmental norms and ours.

In other words, they aren't just another alien species who came to Earth -- they're the other Earthlings, living on the part of our planet that's every bit as inhospitable to humans as any alien world.

They never mentioned the idea in the film, but the undersea beings could be the source of every legitimate UFO sighting ever made. The idea answers the two most compelling objections to the existence of alien spacecraft coming to Earth.

Question: If faster-than-light travel is actually impossible, wouldn't the aliens have to travel for decades to get here?

Answer: They aren't crossing interstellar space, they're just coming up from the ocean floor.

Question: Why are alien visitors coming to Earth but never making formal contact?

Answer: Because they're actually terrestrial co-inhabitants who don't want us to know they're down there, since we're such a crazy and dangerous species for them to be sharing a planet with.

Yes sir, I much prefer the idea that the "aliens' in The Abyss were actually the other intelligent species that evolved on Earth. It's a fresh new idea with lots of interesting possibilities.

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure (1989)

It's not every day you get to see a rib-tickling, feel-good, action packed, time traveling, science fiction comedy/adventure.

This movie, speaking in the vernacular, is a hoot.

And it ain't a bad science fiction movie either.

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only time-travel movie in which the characters successfully reverse cause-and-effect by making something happen in the present by planning to go back in time and making preparations that bring about the event.
In other words, whenever they want an "effect" to happen, they make a mental note to go back in time and set up the "cause". So for them, subjectively, it becomes "effect-and-cause".

The oral history report the boys give their high school assembly in the climax is a magnificent stage production that, on first viewing, seems much too elaborate to be spontaneous — until you remember that Bill and Ted can spend days of subjective time getting ready for something that seems to occur just minutes after it's conceived.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989)

I liked this movie. My kids liked this movie. I liked watching this movie with my kids. So if you read anything here against this movie . . . it's a typo. Very Happy

First of all, the concept is brilliant: make an epic adventure out of four kids crossing their backyard.

Throw in a giant insect they befriend and ride on, a colossal battle between said insect and a huge red mutant scopiosaurus, and a wild ride on bubbloid bee creature.

Make the grown-up characters quirky and combative and obviously devoted to their children.

Get somebody like . . . oh, I don't know, James Horner to score it.

And then, twenty-six years later, refuse to release a decent DVD in 16:9 -- never mind a damn Blu-ray with extras -- despite the fact that Wikipedia says this:

The film became an unexpected box office success, grossing in excess of $222 million worldwide, and became the highest-grossing live-action Disney film ever, a record it held for five years.

Some folks say the Disney people will do anything for a buck. I more inclined to think they they couldn't find their own ass with both hands . . .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: