ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jurassic World - Dominion (2021)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 5:52 pm    Post subject: Jurassic World - Dominion (2021) Reply with quote

I finally saw this movie on Amazon Prime Video today, and for the first thirty minutes I was not very impressed.

Then it got better. I started to enjoy it.

By the end of the first hour the original cast of Jurassic Park had teamed up with the main characters from Jurassic World, along with a few new and appealing characters.

At that point the action exploded and there wasn't a slow moment until the final credits! And hot damn if the story didn't actually make sense — all the stuff about the genetically altered young girl and the prehistoric locust that were going to cause a global famine.

Folks, at this point I feel compelled to mention that when I first saw Jurassic World I absolutely hated it. I complained about practically everything — like the way the idiots went into the Indominus Rex enclosure to look for it when it didn't show up the sensors.

Naturally it was right there hiding, and it gobbled up a few of morons.

And then there was the way all the tourist ran up and down the street when the Pterosaurs attacked . . . instead of going into the buildings! Hell, that's what these fools would have done if had started raining!

And let's not forgt the macho idiot who thought he could turn the trained raptors into reptilian soldiers. (He got eaten, of course.)

There were other things, but I won't list them all. And yet, nothing in Dominion got my goat the way the things in Jurassic World did.

However, the "heart warming" ending is just a bit over the top. Sad

They wanted to show us how prehistoric life was allegedly going to finally coexist peacefully with modern animals. To illustrate this optimistic future, they show us herds of dinosaurs running with horses, and flocks of pteredons mingle harmoniously with flocks of geese.

But when they showed one of the giant aquatic dinosaurs floating peacefully in the ocean right next to a Blue Whale, I rolled my eyes and thought, "Right. That mammoth monster is NOT going to eat up all the whales in the Pacific." Rolling Eyes

However, those happy scenes — schmaltzy though they may be — certainly ended the film (and the franchise) on a warm and fuzzy note.

Oh well . . . I'm a cockeyed optimist, so I didn't hate it for going too far with the happy ending. In fact, when I finished watching Dominion, I couldn't resist getting out my DVD of Jurassic World and giving it another chance!

Lo and behold . . . it's better than I thought! Very Happy Cool

_____Jurassic World Dominion - Official Trailer

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't resist the urge to watch Dominian again today, and I was impressed anew by the action scenes when raptors who were programed to be assassins chased Clair and Owen through the streets of a Middle Eastern city.

Those scenes are as wild and exciting as anything in the Mission Impossible movies! Shocked

While watching the movie I started wondering how the dinosaurs spread all over the world in Dominion when (a) we only saw a few dozen individuals escape at the end of Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, and (b) the genetically engineered dinosaurs were deliberately designed to be female, so the population would NOT explode!

So, how could a few dozen escaped female dinosaurs cause a population explosion that spread across the globe? Confused

The movie further confuses the issue when Blue, the raptor that Chris Pratt trained to not eat him just by holding out his hand (and apparently using the Force), has a baby by immaculate conception — you know, like the mothers of both Jesus and Anakin Skywaker. Confused

Admittedly, Jurassic Park included a scene in which Dr. Grant found dinosaur eggs in a nest, and he concluded that the geneticists used frog DNA to fill gaps in the dino genome, and this accidentally gave the dinos the ability to switch genders when the species need this for its survival.

However, one mistake the plot of Dominion makes is having the main villain (a brilliant, rich, scientist/industrialist) insist that the offspring of Blue is somehow a great breakthrough, and he has to possess it to figure out how it happened.

This is wacky, because all the JP movies acknowledged that the dinosaurs can reproduce asexually.

That's the aspect of the plot I just don't get. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I guess Dominion just does what all good science fiction stories do — take a good idea and cheat a little bit to turn it in an interesting story.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, it's really a possible concept through a process called Facultative parthenogenesis.

Facultative parthenogenesis is the term for when a female can produce offspring either sexually or via asexual reproduction.

Facultative parthenogenesis is extremely rare in nature, with only a few examples of animal taxa capable of facultative parthenogenesis.

One of the best-known examples of taxa exhibiting facultative parthenogenesis are mayflies; presumably, this is the default reproductive mode of all species in this insect order.

Facultative parthenogenesis has generally been believed to be a response to a lack of a viable male. A female may undergo facultative parthenogenesis if a male is absent from the habitat or if it is unable to produce viable offspring.

However, California condors and the tropical lizard Lepidophyma smithii both can produce parthenogenic offspring in the presence of males, indicating that facultative parthenogenesis may be more common than previously thought and is not simply a response to a lack of males.

In aphids, a generation sexually conceived by a male and a female produces only females. The reason for this is the non-random segregation of the sex chromosomess X and O during spermatogenesis.

Facultative parthenogenesis is often used to describe cases of spontaneous parthenogenesis in normally sexual animals.

For example, many cases of spontaneous parthenogenesis in sharks, some snakes, Komodo dragons and a variety of domesticated birds were widely attributed to facultative parthenogenesis.

These cases are examples of spontaneous parthenogenesis. The occurrence of such asexually produced eggs in sexual animals can be explained by a meiotic error, leading to eggs produced via automixis.

See....Simple answer!

(from Wiki)

And it was a thrill-ride movie!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Gord!

Based on the info you shared, the idea that the dinosaurs reproduced asexually was not all that unusual.

However, I was mistaken when I said the rich scientist/industrialist wanted Blue to figure out how she had produced an offspring, it was actually because she was considered smarter than dolphins and second only to humans in intelligence.

Also, the reason he wanted the cloned little girl was because he scientist's mother had changed the child's DNA to prevent her from inheriting a genetic disorder that had caused the mother's death.

So, I apologize for falsely accusing this movie of having illogical plot elements.

And you're right, the movie is indeed a wild thrill-ride! Very Happy

Here's an interesting video I found which compares the size various dinosaurs. The point of view moves progressively back as the dinosaurs get larger — but it moves TOO FAR back as the video progresses!

I left this comment on YouTube.

I wish the point-of-view didn't back up so much that the largest dinosaurs end up looking like the smallest on the screen! This also reduces the details in the image! The video is flawed by this aspect of the presentation. Can that be fixed, please? Thanks.

That aspect of the video is very frustrating. It prevents us from realizing the actually comparison of the sizes as they are shown in the video's thumbnail image below.
Rolling Eyes

_ Dinosaur Size Comparison | 3d Animation Comparison

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's Create a Sequel!

~ A Question for the Members: Is the Jurassic Park franchise really over?

~ Here's what I came up with.: Well, since the story basically began 65 million years ago, it seems entirely reasonable that it might continue for quite a while into the future.

Like . . . how, you may ask? Confused

Like this.

In a way, Jurassic Park started when dinosaurs became exinct. Then much later we see the rise of mankind, whose intelligence permitted him to resurrect the dinosaurs.

But mankind didn't just bring back the dinosaurs exactly as they were, he tinkered with them to make "improvements" — and one of these improvements is their intelligence, namely Blue, the raptor that was described in Dominion as the second smartest life form on the planet.

So, now that dinosaurs are being protected and preserved in special habitats, will scientist leave them alone? After all, the only thing they accomplished by making genetically engineered dinosaurs was the acquisition of billions of dollars . . . right? Confused

(That was a trick question. Of course the scientist will continue fiddling with dino DNA! Shocked)

Okay, so skip ahead a few hundred years, and our brilliant scientist have created equally brilliant dinosaurs. But can smart dinosaurs co-exist with mankind? (Bear in mind that mankind can't seem to co-exist with himself, so the answer would seem to be — no. Sad)

And right here is where we get a plot twist that would make Chubby Checker proud.

Human and Dino scientist detect an approaching asteroid that will cause an extinction event comparable to the one that wiped out the dinosaurs. A fleet of ships is built to take mankind to a planet in another star system, but there aren't enough ships to save both the dinosaurs and mankind, especially when you consider the size of the largest prehistoric beast.

The dinosaurs accept their fate and allow mankind to leave Earth. But they secretly complete their own project to launch a missile with a super-bomb that destroys the killer asteroid.

And so at last, with mankind gone, Dinosaurs again rule the Earth.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting video which allegedly corrects the appearance of several dinosaurs in the Jurassic Park franchise.

These recreations might be more scientifically accurate, but they certainly aren't as dramatic in appearance as the ones in the movies. Still, the work done by the creator of the video is well worth watching. Very Happy

I added ACCURATE DINOSAURS into the JURASSIC PARK Franchise!

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This video will "rock your (Jurassic) world", a parade of T-Rex, from The Ghost of Slumber Mountain (1919) to Jurassic World - Dominion.

Enjoy! _

EVOLUTION of T-REX in MOVIES & TV: Size Comparison (1918-2022)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2021 to Tomorrow All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: