ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Fly (1986) Thinking Outside the "Plot"! #3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:36 pm    Post subject: The Fly (1986) Thinking Outside the "Plot"! #3 Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

All Sci-Fi member Krel submitted this intelligent and disturbing comment. I’m very impressed by it.

The gizmo in the movie isn't really a teleporter, it's a matter transmitter. There is a difference.

We talked about this once before, but I can see a matter transmitter being a legal quagmire if used on a person. I can see court battles on whether or not the person that was transmitted is the actual person, or just a very close copy. People would claim that they should get their inheritance because that is not the real person. The real person died in the transmitter, and what came out of the transmitter was just a copy. Marriages would end using the same argument. It wouldn't just be greed, some people will genuinely be horrified that the transmitted loved one, is not REALLY their loved one.

I can see a big moral dilemma not just for the loved ones, but for the person who underwent transmission. When you are transmitted, what happens to your soul? Does it transmit with you? Doubt will set in and i can foresee suicides as an end result.

I can see some religions banning their members from traveling in the device.

Or transmitted objects. It that transmitted Picasso, the REAL Picasso or a copy? Is that a real Stradivarius Violin, or was the real one destroyed in the transmission? The same for jewelry and any other art object. What will that do to their value?

Can you claim the value of a transmitted object from your insurance company, because the original was destroyed? Can you do the same with your loved one's life insurance? How long woulld it take the insurance companies to make it where if you or an insured object are transmitted, that voids the policy?

David (Krel)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: