ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 1-3-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 1-3-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Hi there, sailor! Lookin’ for a good time? _

Let me introduce you to some attractive little cuties from a swingin’ place called Hollywood. Cool

Forbidden Planet is the home a hot babe named Altaira, who makes here own clothes and loves to get kissing lessons from romantic starship crewmen.

Jason and all his Argonauts sailed to a far-off land and met a temple dancer named Medea who brought the house down with her slinky Greek-style gyrations. Shocked

However, if you’re just a home-lovin’ country boy, say hello to Miss Sally Fields, who proved that “fast girls” can go 110 mph and still look absolutely adorable.

Click on the licks below and spend a little “face time” with these dazzling beauties. I promise not to tell a soul . . .
Wink

Forbidden Planet (1956)

Here's a copy of a post on CHFB by starhawk60.movieserialm.

The Witch's Dungeon Courtlandt Hull with famed sculptor and owner of the newly refurbished Robby The Robot, Bill Malone.
This is from Mr. Hull's Facebook page:

BILL MALONE and I with the original "Robby The Robot" that Bill restored, which he saved from a movie museum in CA. When it closed, Robby was in rough shape. Am...azing to see in person - so noisy when everything is working inside the head, they had to overdub any dialogue when Robby was working. The same problem with the "Fly" computer screen - not quite as noisy, but am sure they probably had to dub dialogue if too close to it. Robby's interior is a bit dangerous to be inside, due to the intricate wiring, some interior was made of plywood. I promised I would post a photo of this original Robby - just took a while to find it. Bill Diamond and I filmed an interview with Bill Malone which will appear in a future documentary on sc-fi from "The Witch's Dungeon".

Smokey and the Bandit (1977)

1977 was a remarkable year.

Two movies from that year are especially memorable. One, of course, is Star Wars. And the other one is Smokey and the Bandit.

Like everybody else in the world, I went to see Star Wars several times during the months it played in Atlanta — after waiting a few weeks for it to finally get to that city. It first opened in selected cities on May 25th, but my young wife and I got tired of waiting for it to get to us, so I used my Eastern Air Lines employee passes, and we flew to New York to see it for the first time. Very Happy

But before we did that, we went to the Northeast Expressway Drive-in to see Smokey and the Bandit, which had opened on May 27th.

The NE Expressway Drive-In was a great theater, with the owner's home actually built right into the screen! It was a twin drive-in in 1977, and you could look over your shoulder and see the movie on the other screen if you got bored with the one you were watching — or if your date didn't mind you kissing her with your eyes open.

___

As I mentioned, my companion for that memorable evening was my lovely bride of just ten months. She was my favorite model to practice my budding artistic skills on. She's the subject of this watercolor portrait, which makes her look a little like Sally Field —

— and also this rather bizarre graphite portrait, which makes her look a little scary. Shocked

So, there we were on a warm summer evening in May, watching Burt Reynolds and Jerry Reed make the Texarkana run in less than twelve parsecs.

And just for the record, this is the kind of car I had back in 1977 — right down to the dark green color with the green vinyl top.

The Dukes of Hazzard was inspired by the success of Smokey and the Bandit, and the 1969 Charger became even more famous than Burt's black Trans Am!

And yes, my Charger had a CB radio in it. Very Happy

______

My handle was the Lucky Dog — ("This is the Lucky Dog — breaker breaker, bark bark!") — and I could make the Atlanta-to-Panama City run in less than twelve parsecs, too.

My lovely wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our evening at the NE Expressway Drive-in, and when the next weekend rolled around we scratched our heads while we pondered the problem of what to do for an encore. Smokey and the Bandit was a tough act to follow.

In fact, it was too tough.

So . . . we went back to the NE Expressway Drive-In and watched Smokey and the Bandit again!

Thomas Wolfe was right when he said "You can't go back home." But with movies like Star Wars and Smokey and the Bandit, you can rerun a happy occasion and enjoy it almost as much as you did the first time.

Jason and the Argonauts (1963)

It all started with a bus ride across town to meet the friend-of-a-friend and go to a Saturday matinee of the newest movie from Ray Harryhausen.

The year was 1963, the month was June, and all three of us were just fifteen years old.

My friend Jimmy Harmon had somehow become acquainted with Don Krarr, despite the fact that Jimmy and I lived on the south side of Atlanta, and Don lived on the north side. The three of us remained friends for several decades thereafter.

Our friendship was certainly launched with a spectacular beginning. We went to a theater Don had picked for us, bought our tickets, and enjoyed a life-changing experience. In fact, we enjoyed it twice. We sat through two complete showings, and we exchanged excited comments between the first one and the second.

All three of us were well acquainted with Harryhausen's work, having seen his earlier features at theaters and drive-ins with our families, and on local late shows in Atlanta.

Both Jimmy and I had even made 8mm stop motion movies. Click on the link below if you'd like to see one of mine. (Be sure to turn the sound off to avoid the loud projector noise!)

So, this Saturday adventure was a dream come true, a feast for hungry young eyes which couldn't get enough of the spectacular animation in Jason and the Argonauts. The first moment Talos came to life had us mesmerized!

The music was something we were keenly aware of, from the opening titles to the closing credits. We were just as familiar with Bernard Herrmann as we were with Harryhausen, and the Talos music played in my head for weeks after seeing the movie.

The same was true for the harpy music and the rest of that magnificent score. But the beauty of the music and the thrill of Ray's magnificent stop motion were not the only things that excited me and my teenage buddies. When Miss Nancy Kovack made her dramatic entrance, we forgot about monsters . . . for a little while. Very Happy

However, when Medea frees Jason and he takes on the hydra, we weren't thinking about the the lady anymore.

In the middle 1960s, my friends and I were fortunate enough to find a place called "The Poster Exchange" in Atlanta that supplied promotional material to theaters across the country, and they didn't mind selling stills and posters to a group of young guys who stumbled in from time to time and paid the whooping price of 25¢ for color stills like the one below. Black-and-white stills were 17¢. Very Happy

But Harryhausen had saved the best for last, and the amazing climax of Jason and the Argonauts left three wide-eyed young guys speechless and dazzled.

Behold.

The movie ended with the perfect set-up for a sequel — but we never got it. If only Hollywood had known the power of a built-in audience when a great movie has captured the imagination of the movie-going public.

Ah well. ( * sigh . . . )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: