ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 1-7-22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 1-7-22 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Ask yourself the following questions.

~ How can you tell when a series is fantasy or science fiction?

~ Will miniaturized people ever be injected into hospital patients?

~ Will they ever build a transatlantic tunnel?

Outlander Series: Is it Science Fiction or Fantasy?

Science Fiction versus Fantasy. Hmmm . . .

This hypothetical scenario illustrates the difference.

If your car won't run, and the mechanic reached into his tool box to pull out a phenamorhic retromonitor that quickly fixes the problem — it's science fiction.

The reason? Because if the phenamorhic retromonitor malfunctioned, he could order another one from Stanley Tools.

But if he reached into his robe, pulled a wizard's wand, and waves it over the car to make it run — it's fantasy.

The reason? Because if the wand didn't work . . . he could not order another one from Stanley Tools.

Gentlemen, I hope that clears up the matter.

Fantastic Voyage (1966)

scotpens wrote:
Pow wrote:
Just read that Dreamworks Pictures will produce the film "Micro" based upon Michael Crichton's novel of the same name.

I've never read the book, but I just finished reading a synopsis on Wiki. Looks like it could be quite an interesting addition to the "shrunken people" sub-genre of science fiction.

It needs a catchier title, though. How about Honey, I Shrunk the Grad Students?

I just read the Wikipedia synopsis, and I wasn't very impressed with the profusion of murder plots and cover-ups and wacky plans to shrink people and then kill 'em to hide various crimes.

In spite of the "shrinking" aspects of the story, it's just a complex Perry Mason episode!

The Case of the Reduced Researchers

The Case of the Teeny Tiny Technicians

The Case of the Itsy Bitsy Victims

The Case of the Micro-Murder's Mini-Methods

And so forth . . .

Transatlantic Tunnel (1935)

Rocky Jones wrote:
That would be a pooping long tunnel, all right. I suppose the designers would actually have to somehow accommodate for continental drift. Perhaps they could have some telescoping segments or something. You'd probably even have to pump down air from the surface at various intervals.[/url]

You nailed several excellent reasons for scraping this whole idea, sir. Very Happy

Frankly I think the idea of trying to travel between North America and Europe via a tunnel under the ocean is about as realistic as going from Kansas to Hong Kong by boring through the Earth's core.

Constructing the tunnel would be insanely expensive and difficult. Maintaining it would be a hemorrhaging wound on the world economy. And traveling through it would be about as safe as going spelunking in the lava tube of an active volcano.

The saner alternatives include the airliners that carry people who are in a hurry, the huge freighters that handle the mega-tons of cargo, and the ocean liners which handle the folks who want to take the scenic route.

The concept of this subterranean death trap is presented realistically enough in the movie to talk any intelligent person out of doing it, rather than convincing us that it's one of those marvels we'll enjoy in a lovely future age.

Even though I vote against building the tunnel, I vote in favor of watching this great movie! Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: