ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Blade Runner - Thinking Outside the "Plot"! #1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Blade Runner - Thinking Outside the "Plot"! #1 Reply with quote

Thinking Outside the "Plot"!

As I've stated in other posts, the version of Blade Runner that appeals to me the most (even though it's not what Phillip K. Dick and screenplay writers Hampton Fancher and David Webb Peoples had in mind) is one which has Dr. Eldon Tyrell create Deckard as a test to see if he could make a replicant so indistinguishable from humans that even Deckard himself would know it.

So, the real Deckard was killed, the replicant Deckard was given false memories, and he unknowingly assumed the identity of the actual man.

Okay, so that was just a review. Here's a new idea.

~ A Question for the Members: After Rachael and Deckard go off together, both knowing they're replicants, is it possible they would decide to somehow create replicants of themselves which would remain in suspended animation and someday assume their identities — thus extending their lifespans in a way?

~ My Theory: Remember Roy Batty's dying words about how it was tragic for all his memories and experiences to be lost at the moment of his death? That was an important point in the movie.

Since my pet version of the premise has both Deckard and Rachael reconciled to being replicants with false memories of their "childhoods" and real memories from their adult experiences, I think they might want to artificially continue their "life journeys" by preserving their personalities and character traits, along with their own treasured memories in the new versions of themselves.

Whether they would want the duplicates to know they were both Version 2.0 is another question to ponder.

_______________ Blade Runner - Final scene

_________

mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great plot ideas here.

If you consider Deckard a replicant.
I don't. For me there is no indication that he is anything but human.

Bladerunner is truly a work of cinematic art, there are many layers to it. Ambiguity is a large part of it's appeal.

I am VERY interested in an imaginary sequel as 2049 did not come close to the level of the original. I was very disappointed with it.

I like the idea that Rachel and Deckard escape to either a colony or the wilderness somewhere on earth. They deserve to have a future.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Threads about Imaginary Sequels & Alternate Plotlines All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: