ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Powerless (2017)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Powerless (2017) Reply with quote

Powerless was a sitcom set in the D.C. Comics Universe and developed by Ben Queen.

The show ran on NBC from February 2, 2017 until April 20, 2017 for a total of 12 episodes.

Premise: Emily Locke (Vanessa Hudgens) is the Director of Research and Development at Wayne Security, a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises based in Charm City. It is Emily's job along with her staff to create technology that will help the ordinary citizens of Charm City deal with the collateral damage caused by battles in the city by various superheroes and supervillains.

I recall seeing previews to Powerless before it aired and thinking what a wonderful, fun concept. And that it would have no chance of surviving because it was unique.

I was right.

The series was humorous, the cast was quite good. We'd see some superhero & supervillains battle supported by good visual effects making it entertaining.

It was a show that deserved a good run but with its original and unusual premise it just was too different for audiences.

The original pilot is on Youtube. In the pilot the setting is an insurance company that Emily works at. The company covers superhero related deaths and damages payouts.

The pilot has the fine comedic scripting that the weekly show would have. I don't feel that having the show set in an insurance company worked nearly as well as putting in a R & D firm. R & D offered way more intriguing & amusing storylines.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the trailer and the "unsold" pilot — which is very funny and should have been aired. Below is what Wikipedia has to say about the "original pilot and the re-done pilot.

Reception - Critical response

After the original pilot was shown at Comic Con 2016, reviews were generally positive. Eric Goldman of IGN gave it a 7.5/10 saying "it's very endearing and amusing and has me looking forward to seeing where it can go".

Sydney Bucksbaum of Nerdist praised the pilot episode, saying it's "the superhero comedy we deserve" and "Fans of comic books, office comedy, rom-coms or just having a good laugh, Powerless is for you."

After the Pilot episode aired at SDCC 2016, series creator Ben Queen departed the series, after which it was given a new premise and almost the entire episode was rewritten and reshot without Queen or original director Michael Patrick Jann.

The reviews for the second pilot episode of Powerless were much less positive.

Someone should make a comedy series about dimwit TV executives who don't know their anal cavities from Carlsbad Caverns. Each week we see them turning down ideas for series that end up on other networks, with ratings going through the roof.

The executives in the cast would change on a weekly bases as the dimwits get fired and new dimwits take over, confident that they'll do a better job then their predecessors. Very Happy

The perfect name for this series inspired by the sad fate pf Powerless would be (of course) . . . Clueless. Laughing

___________ Powerless | official trailer (2017)

_________ DC Comics' Powerless - Unaired Pilot

_________________ Adam West in “Powerless”

___Powerless "Emily Dates a Henchman" Sneak Peek #1

___ Powerless "Emily Dates a Henchman" Sneak Peek #2

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Powerless (2017) Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Premise: Emily Locke (Vanessa Hudgens) is the Director of Research and Development at Wayne Security, a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises based in Charm City.

The original pilot is on Youtube. In the pilot, the setting is an insurance company that Emily works at. The company covers superhero related deaths and damages payouts.

I don't feel that having the show set in an insurance company worked nearly as well as putting in a R & D firm. R & D offered way more intriguing & amusing storylines.

Obviously, YouTube mistakenly labeled the video as "Unaired Pilot", because it is, as you stated, the reworked premise with the folks at insurance company, not the R & D firm.

At yet Wikipedia describes the premise like this.

. . . the adventures of Emily Locke (Vanessa Hudgens) as Director of Research & Development at Wayne Security, a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises based in Charm City, that specializes in products for ordinary humans who are poised to be victims of the battles between superheroes and supervillains.

Wikipedia describes episode 1 below — but it in no way resembles the plot of the YouTube video labeled "Unaired Pilot. In fact, NONE summaries seem resemble the plot of the YouTube video, so that indicates that it IS the "Unaired Pilot" — even though there's no mention of the R & D department.

So, I'm thoroughly confused! Shocked

"Wayne or Lose" episode 1

Emily Locke is hired as the new R&D director at Wayne Security in Charm City, but finds the staff unmotivated and her boss and the head of the division, Van Wayne, only looking to move up the corporate ladder at Wayne Enterprises. Van announces that his cousin Bruce Wayne is going to close the division if it cannot compete with rivals like LexCorp.

However, Van wants Wayne Security to fail so that he can leave Charm City in hopes of moving to Gotham City and thus makes no attempt to save it. Under Emily's leadership, the team develops a wrist-worn supervillain detector that alerts the wearer when one is nearby, saving the company.

This forces Van to remain in Charm City out of his obligations towards his company and causes him to dislike Emily. The news reports that the vigilante Batman used the new device to locate his archenemy, the Joker, and help the Gotham City Police Department apprehend him.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More funny clips from Powerless!

Powerless "Cold Season" - Emily tests Teddy’s invention

Powerless with Crimson fox and Vanessa Hudgens

_________ POWERLESS 'Game Changing Product'

And here's a trailer that makes reference to the R & D division Wayne Enterprises, rather than the insurance company! Cool

_________________ Powerless NBC Trailer #1

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh happy day! Cool

After making all those posts above, I was just itchin' to watch this series from start to finish — without bothering with all those damn YouTube clips and the confusion about how it started out one way and ended up another! Rolling Eyes

So, I went looking for a way to stream all twelve episodes.

And praise the Almighty Zeus, I found it! Very Happy

Amazon Prime Video allows me to "buy" (not just rent) all twelve episodes for a very reasonable price. So, I did!

I'm now binge watching this hysterical series which Pow made me aware of today. I've chuckled my way through episodes 4 of the 12, so far. And since I "bought" them (not just rented), I'll still have them in 2024 when I get the urge to watch them again, after I've forgotten 90% of the hysterical jokes I've enjoyed today.

My oh my . . . life can certainly be wonderful. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi on Television from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: