ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 1-14-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 1-14-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Two posts by me and one by the prolific Spike, who shares his thoughts on the subject of monsters that challenge the world.

Columbo (1971)

I've started downloading episodes of Columbo using that's gone now . A fun show. After watching the thirteen episodes I was able to get of Banacek, I discovered I was in the mood for early 1970s "Mystery Movies of the Week", and I figured Columbo would be a good choice.

Peter Falk's disheveled detective is the polar opposite of the cool and impeccably dressed Thomas Banacek, but both guys are masters when it comes to putting small facts together to make brilliant deductions.

And in one episode there was a guest star we're fond of around here!

Notice how different Robby's chest panel looks? I wonder why they changed it for the show? And under his dome they added a wide rectangular piece at the top of the mechanism below the spinning gyros!

Banacek (1972-1974)

Pow wrote:
I'd read that the reason George did not return to Banacek for a third season is that he wanted to direct some episodes but NBC said no.

Unfortunately, the reason for the cancellation is pretty frustrating for the fans. Wikipedia says this.

Banacek was well received by television critics, and as a result was picked up for a third season. However, before the third season could start, Peppard quit the show in order to prevent his ex-wife Elizabeth Ashley from receiving a larger percentage of his earnings as part of their divorce settlement. The complication ended any chance of reviving Banacek during Peppard's lifetime. A&E continued rebroadcasts of Banacek in syndication.

The Monster that Challenged the World (1957)

Instant TERROR......just add water!

An earthquake out in the Salton Sea awakens the creeping dread, gigantic vampire water snails are on the loose and they are hungry for human fluid!

Just about the right side of good, The Monster Who Challenge The World holds up well because of the well constructed creatures and a bit of care and attention to the boffin discussions. Far too many 50s creature features just used a basic premise of creatures obliterating mankind because they were in an odd mood, but much like The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, this picture at least takes time to give us a bit of a nature heartbeat to help us understand the methods of a mollusc, and that alone should be applauded, so we learn while we have fun so to speak.

The cast ooze B-movie standards, and that is in no way a bad thing here, whilst the Catalina Island locale sequences are pretty nifty to help salt the beef as it were!

Good honest fun that isn't short on creepiness, and top marks to the makers for introducing a very ingenious creature to a truly wonderful genre. 6/10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: