ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Marry a Millioniare (1953)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:48 pm    Post subject: How to Marry a Millioniare (1953) Reply with quote

This post is in honor of tonight's ASF’S Saturday Night at the Movies (<— link) chat.

]

One September 23rd, 1961, NBC made history. And I was there to see it.

The National Broadcasting Company dressed up Barry Sullivan and Clu Gulager in tuxedos (the stars of the popular 1960 Western, The Tall Men) and placed them on a big empty sound stage so they could stroll around and chat with America about a new series NBC was starting that night at nine o'clock.

NBC's Saturday Night at the Movies

They kicked off the weekly event with the first Fox movie filmed in CinemaScope (although The Robe was the first one they released), the star-studded comedy called How to Marry a Millionaire

The network had worked out a deal with 20th Century Fox to air thirty — count 'em, THIRTY — of their best movies from the late 1940s through the late 1950s. It was the first time any of the networks aired movies on a weekly basis. The Wizard of Oz, a yearly event, was the closest they'd ever come to this new and wonderful idea.

______ How To Marry A Millionaire Original Trailer

IMDB has several interesting trivia items for this production. Very Happy

~ Lauren Bacall's character, Schatze, tells William Powell that their age difference is not a problem.

"I've always adored older men! Look at Roosevelt, look at Churchill, look at that old fellow, what's-his-name, in The African Queen. I'm absolutely crazy about him." She is referring to her then real-life husband, Humphrey Bogart.

Note from me: This is one of the funniest lines in the movie. Very Happy

~ Alexander D'Arcy noticed the destructive nature of Marilyn Monroe's relationship with Natasha Lytess, her acting coach. "Natasha was really advising her badly, justifying her own presence on the set by requiring take after take and simply feeding on Marilyn's insecurity."

Note from me: It a studio boss had kicked that bitch of the set, Marilyn might have lived longer. Sad

~ According to Nunnally Johnson, Lauren Bacall (who was known as "Betty" to her friends) and Betty Grable became instant pals. Betty Bacall fell in love with Grable and now thinks she's the funniest clown she ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Note from me: MY oh my, there ladies sure don't sound like the egotistic Hollywood types we've heard of! Cool

~ Hollywood legend has it that Marilyn Monroe, who had already rocketed to major stardom in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1953), was befriended during filming by Betty Grable, who offered her this encouragement: "Honey, I've had mine. Go get yours."

Note from me: It's nice to know that the three stars got along so well together.

~ One of the first films to have its score recorded in stereo.

Note from me: Not to mention the "concert" we get before the movie even starts. And that's why I always watch TV with headpones one.

~ During filming, Betty Grable had to leave the set upon learning that her daughter Jessica had suffered a fall at home. Marilyn Monroe telephoned Grable later that day to ask how Jessica was. Grable recalled years after Monroe's death that Monroe was the only person from the film who called her about Jessica.

Note from me: The more stories like this i hear about Marilyn, the more I respect the lady.

~ Despite the fact that three of Hollywood's most popular actresses were billed together on the same screen, they got along surprisingly well on the set. In fact, when a photo shoot was getting ready to happen, Betty Grable noticed that Marilyn Monroe's toenails needed painting.

So, wanting Monroe to look her best, Grable took some of her own polish and painted Monroe's toenails herself.

Note from me: Wow, now there's story to make me respect Miss Grable as well!

~ This was 20th Century-Fox's first CinemaScope feature, but it was not released until after The Robe (1953).

Note from me: I have the Blu-ray of The Robe, and it's easy to understand why Fox chose it to introduce CinemaScope.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: