ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monkey Business (1952)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Bud, first off, it wasn't clever at all to me. It removed me for a moment from the movie. We saw no such other moments, so why do this one at all? We did not need a "crack" in the fourth wall.

Once the movie was rolling we witnessed scenes establishing Grant as absent-minded. So we didn't require this needless and unamusing scene at all.

I'm not trying to take it seriously, I'm merely pointing out that the director made a poor choice here as a filmmaker. But remember, taking or not taking a film or TV show seriously or not can be subjective depending upon the individual. You might take something quite seriously that I do not, and vice versa.
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that it should be noted that this movie is a screwball comedy coupled with the fantasy comedies (which were versions of a screwball comedy) of the forties and fifties. Internal logic was not a big thing in these movies.

There are two scenes I love. The first where Charles Coburn tells his secretary (Marilyn Monroe) to have another secretary sent in so he can dictate a letter. When MM begs for another chance at typing the letter. Charles Coburn gently, and kindly tells her no, that it is a very important letter. When she leaves the room he turns to Cary Grant and says, "anyone can type". Laughing

The second scene amazes me to this day. Ginger Rogers is laying on her back on the floor. She places a glass of water on her forehead, then stands up without spilling a drop! Shocked

David.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, David, it is indeed a wonderful comedy.

It sort of bridges the gap between Cary Grant's frantic performances in movies like Arsenic and Old Lace and Bringing Up Baby, as compared to his subsequent "Cool Cary" performances in The Catch a Thief and North by Northwest.

To me, Cary always seemed to over do it a bit in the wacky comedies. But his "cool" performances in movies just a few years after Monky Business fit him like the proverbial glove. Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: