ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 6-12-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 6-12-23 Reply with quote

y

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

This is a very elaborate spoof of 1950s sci-fi movies, one which has more jokes that don’t work than jokes that do — in my opinion.

Mars Attacks! (1996)

A lot of stars — this movie is filled to the brink with 'em. It's very much like all those disaster films or like Independence Day that same year (ID4 was the summer film that year, Mars Attacks was the X-Mas holiday film).

Most of the roles, however, aren't well written and most of the big actors aren't able to do anything with their parts. Right off the bat, I'll say that Nicholson is a disappointment in both his roles; he underplays his President part and hams it up unfunnily as the Vegas opportunist. This may have been a chance for him to have two death scenes in one film, but that's it.

_ Mars Attacks "Why Can't We All Just Get Along?"

Glenn Close isn't able to be anything more than bitchy in her part. Brosnan, just starting as the new James Bond a year earlier, plays the stiff heroic scientist who isn't able to be heroic; he smokes a pipe well. Bening is wasted in the role of a new age beatnik. DeVito has a throwaway 5-minute cameo. I dunno why he's credited so high. Jim Brown & Pam Grier play it straight, as if in another kind of film.

There are some amusing bits. Like Martin Short, as usual, as the White House press secretary, and Steiger manages to be a hoot as the warmongering general. As a counterpoint, there's the peacetime general played by Winfield (also amusing). Tom Jones plays himself in the last act and also manages to be funny. Jack Black's role is brief but this was the earliest sign of his comedic talent.

Overall, though, I get the impression that director Burton wasn't sure of what he was doing.

This shows in the different styles of acting from all of the above. The Topp's card set from '62 on which this film is based was fairly horrific and graphic for its time. Burton chose to temper the horrific aspects (grisly death) with moments of hammy humor, but there's no consistency.

The film begins, for example, with the eerie scene of the cattle on fire, an ominous beginning, but in the next moment, the tone becomes goofy. I was never really sure whether to laugh or be shocked during most of the film.

BoG's Score: 6.5 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: