ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space creatures who "swim" faster than light!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Space creatures who "swim" faster than light! Reply with quote

While watching my DVDs of the David Attenborough nature documentaries I saw one of those amazing areal shots of dolphins as they swam in front of a ship, with the dolphins leaping out of the water.

__ GoPro: Swimming with Dolphins - Santa Cruz CA

And suddenly I had a cool idea! Very Happy

What if mankind made contact with aliens who actually lived in space, and they propelled themselves across the cosmos — completely at home in the vacuum of space.

In other words, these aliens travel from star system to star system without the need for spacecraft, the same way sea creatures travel the oceans without the need of ships! Very Happy

And yet they aren’t the “non-coporeal beings” we’ve seen in many Star Trek series, they actually have physical forms — something we’ve also seen in several TNG episodes!

But here’s the kicker. These creatures move faster than light because they have the ability to bend space, which is exactly what physicist have proposed as the way starships will exceed the speed of light.

What I’m suggesting, gents, is that these amazing aliens offer to travel along ahead of our spacecraft and propel them at faster-than-light velocities so we can travel to other stars!

Imagine the special effects for the scene in which a starship from Earth is racing through the cosmos at speeds far above that of light itself — while a “pod” of these space-going aliens literally swim along ahead of the ship!
Cool

_ Dolphins swimming captured by underwater camera

The cool aspect of this concept is that mankind doesn’t have to invent a “warp drive” to do what the Enterprise does . . . we just hitch ride with our new friends whenever we need to Sail the Sea of Stars!

This image I cobbled togethre will give you a rough idea of what I have in mind.

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of like the Guilde Navigators in DUNE. Only there they are humans changed by doses of melange (spice) .
mach7
Quantum Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Guild Navigators could fold space but not live in space.

Farscape had Moya and Talyn. The leviathan's lived in space and could Starburst.

It's an interesting question.
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried like hell to get a good illustration of a starship approaching the viewer, and a photo of leaping dolphins also head-on which could modify somehow to look a bit alien. Then I was going to put them together to make an illustration for the "space dolphin" idea.

I finally had to use one of the illustrations I created for my unfinished novel, Sail the Sea of Star

— and modify the killer whales from my 20,000 League Under the Sea paining,

The result is not much like what I had in mind, but it was the best that I could do.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Discussions in General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: