ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Back to the Future trilogy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'm Bud Brewster, and I approve of this message." Very Happy

~ The Space Children (1958)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:58 am; edited 2 times in total
John Thiel
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
This highly enjoyable (if less than perfect) tribute to Back to the Future features a talented Michael J. Fox lookalike and imaginative glimpse at what Marty might encounter if he arrived in the Hill Valley in the real 2015, instead of the marvelous version we see in Back to the Future II.

The funniest moment is the cameo by the actor who played Goldie Wilson when he passes Marty on the street while he's watching President Barack Obama on TV in a store window, and he hears Marty mistakenly think that President Obama is actually President Goldie Wilson.

"Hey, that's a good idea! I could run for president! I'd be the most powerful man in the world! Thanks a lot, fella!"

Give it a look, and try to forgive the limitations of this sincere and loving tribute to a great trilogy. Here's how the video is described by the person who posted it on YouTube.

On October 21st, 2015, this short, "Back to the 2015 Future", premiered at Universal CityWalk as part of the 30th anniversary celebration. It features cameos from original Back to the Future cast members as well as sets from the original movies. It played five sold-out theatrical screenings, which you can attend ... if you have a time machine. Otherwise you can watch it here now.

__________________ Back to the 2015 Future

_________

And here's a bonus feature, the surprise appearance of Michael J. Fox and Christopher Lloyd on Jimmy Kimmel Live, October 21nd 2015, on the anniversary of the date in which Back to the Future II was set.

They're both dressed in costume, and they arrive in a DeLorean with clouds of dry ice fog, while the movie's dramatic theme plays and the audience goes wild!

I LOVE this!
Very Happy

_______Marty McFly & Doc Brown Visit Jimmy Kimmel Live

_________

Some good Dada effects on one of those shots.
John Thiel
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldogtrekker wrote:

All I know about time travel I learned from Star Trek.

"I knew there were a lot of DO-NOTS on this planet, but I didn't know there were DONUTS!"
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good one, John!

And Batman prefers a cup of coffee in the morning with his doughnuts. City hall notifies him when the coffee is ready. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Thiel
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: What Batman Prefers Reply with quote

Cuppacawfee.
John Thiel
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scotpens wrote:
Bud Brewster wrote:
There are some funny articles whose titles I've posted below. For example this big one, located right under the photo.

Cholesterol may be cancer cure

Reminds me of Woody Allen's Sleeper, where 200 years from now, science has discovered that deep-fat frying, steak and eggs, and tobacco are actually good for you!

A movie written around that would be a sleeper.
John Thiel
Planetary Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Jimmy Kimmel Live Reply with quote

That "Jimmy Kimmel Live" photo behind a vehicle looks to me exactly like a transaction involving whether a person's life has ended or not. Rolling Eyes
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no shortage of interesting trivia items about Back to the Future and its sequels, so I'll ration these out a few at a time (the text below in blue) as I get them ready for All Sci-Fi with the pictures and videos.

That said, here goes nuttin'! Very Happy

The rights to the film and its sequels are owned by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale. In a 2015 interview, Zemeckis maintained that no reboot or remake of the series would be authorized during his or Gale's lifetime.

Note from me: Well, now — isn't that just a delightful departure from the questionable Hollywood practice of remakes, updates, reboots, and reimagining's that don't seem get just what made the original great in first place? I say, Bravo! Very Happy

Writers Bob Gale and Robert Zemeckis actually received a fan letter from John DeLorean after the film's release, thanking them for immortalizing his car.

Note from me: The stock version isn't all that great . . . but with the optional "time displacement accessories", this is one sweet ride! Very Happy

Claudia Wells, who played Jennifer Parker in Back to the Future (1985), gave her role up to Elisabeth Shue for Back to the Future Part II (1989) and Back to the Future Part III (1990) when her mother was diagnosed with cancer.

Note from me: I once ran the end of Back to the Future and the beginning of Back to the Future II on two different TV's in the same room, synchronized. And the scenes shown in the pictures below are the same length, with the editing cuts happening almost exactly at the same moments! Shocked

At the London Comic Con 2015, Michael J. Fox admitted that his four children (one son and three daughters in their teens and twenties) never saw Back to the Future.

Note from me: Okay, let get this straight . . . their Dad is Michel J. Fox, the star of this amazing trilogy of films . . . and they've never bothered to WATCH them? Dammit, I'd disown the loveless little ingrates! Shocked

Huey Lewis was asked by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale to write a song for the film. However, the two Bobs were not thrilled with the first song Huey brought back to them. After explaining what they were hoping for, Huey came back with "The Power of Love". He was then told they needed one more song. And so, upon viewing a cut of the film, Huey got the inspiration for "Back in Time".

_______ Back To The Future - The Power Of Love

______ Back to the Future Tribute — Back In Time

Note from me: Okay, raise your hand if you were NOT butt-dancing in your chair while you listened to those two great songs!

Oh right! Come on, put your hand down! You're lying! Rolling Eyes

Musician Mark Campbell did all of Michael J. Fox's singing. He is credited as "Marty McFly."

_________ Johnny B. Goode - Back to the Future

Note from me: To quote Marty, "Whoa . . . rock and roll . . . " Cool

Biff's catchphrases "make like a tree and get outta here" and "butthead" were improvised by Thomas F. Wilson.

Note from me: Thomas F. Wilson does an amazing job in this movie, portraying a variety of characters and displaying an impressive acting range.

It took three hours in make-up to turn the 23-year-old Lea Thompson into the 47-year-old Lorraine.

Note from me: Lea Thompson today appears as a semi-regular on Scorpion, and she's still as lovely as ever — at 55! Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a brilliantly-inventive trilogy and the second one especially is my all-time favorite time-travel movie--imaginitive and a bit disturbing.

Those gliding hovercars [meant to appear around now, according to the 1989 film] are further away than ever it seems, and boy do we need them!

However for all Zemeckis' boundless imagination, he still subscribes to the fact that hover-vehicles will just mean 'traffic jams up in the sky'.

But surely the concept of flying cars would banish traffic jams forever, with up to two miles of space providing as much seperate levels as would be desired?
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The future always seems to be about fifteen years away - we never seem to catch up with the flying cars, Lunar colonies, and so on, that we are promised.

Anyway, surely some brief mention should be made of Doc Brown, played of course by Christopher Lloyd, making a brief appearance in 1882 in "A Million Ways to Die in the West," with a glimpse of what looked suspiciously like a certain time-travelling automobile hidden in a barn?

https://youtu.be/8h3iBQowvbQ
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skullislander wrote:
But surely the concept of flying cars would banish traffic jams forever, with up to two miles of space providing as much separate levels as would be desired?

Well, I think I can make a pretty stronge case for Zemeckis' assertion that even flying cars can cause "traffic jams". Look at this screen grab.

Consider the poor visibility the drivers would have to deal with under these terrible driving conditions. The movie suggests that drivers would be restricted to "lanes" marked with floating lights along the borders and floating signs to provide info. Are they really needed?

Well, the FAA would say yes. Airliners are required to stay in specific flight patterns and to fly at mandated altitudes. Each aircraft's position is carefully monitored by radar.

The planes are normally kept far apart, and air traffic controllers are careful to prevent flight paths from crossing each other. And yet . . . midair collisions still occur from time to time.

And all this takes place at altitudes far higher then the non-pressured "cars" could go without suffocating their drivers. The flying cars must stay closer to the ground for that reason, and also because the actual aircraft are at the higher altitudes and need to be avoided.

Now multiply the number of conventional aircraft in the sky by 1,000: that's a conservative estimate of the number of flying cars that would be up there, too. Imagine all the cars shown below . . . but without the ground beneath them.

My mistake. Let's multiply the number of planes by 10,000! Shocked

So, how do we prevent "traffic jams" from becoming "meteor showers of plummeting car parts and bleeding bodies"?

Self-driving cars would certainly help. But strict traffic "lanes" like we see in Back to the Future would be absolutely necessary. Staying inside these well-defined lanes would be essential, and sticking to the legal altitudes would be just as important. Imagine looking up through your sun roof and spotting some idiot descending blindly . . . right down on top of you!

I submit that those rows of lights we see on each side of the "road" are electronic guides which communicate with the cars' navigation systems to prevent them from straying outside the lanes — left, right, up, or down!

Even today's cars have Lane Keeping Assist Systems (LKAS), so maybe we're a bit closer to flying cars than we thought! Very Happy

Conclusion: Doc was wrong. Where they're going, they DID need roads! And when too many flying cars clog up these "roads" during peak traffic periods, you get a skyway traffic jam.

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am; edited 6 times in total
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the roads would still be there for 'poor people' to use and so cut down on the flying traffic though, Bud!

I still say that airspace offers infinitely more possibilities for vehicle space: long-distance hauls with larger loads could be kept wholly separate in different level-lanes, further above nearer to space, meaning no need for having large and small craft together, like we get on the roads today.

Visibility would probably be better up in the sky, there would be less light pollution---the other gliding craft and their lights would provide easy point of visual reference, however some sort of gyroscopic stabilization would have to be built into the craft to ensure they kept flying in a straight line.

Overtaking would be a blast as well---think of the multiple options!

Last edited by Skullislander on Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skullislander wrote:
I still say that airspace offers infinitely more possibilities for vehicle space: long-distance hauls with larger loads could be kept wholly separate in different level-lanes, further above nearer to space, meaning no need for having large and small craft together, like we get on the roads today.

Lanes for large cargo vehicles is fine, but they'd still need all the same restriction I described above. They can't just go up, down, and sideways without restrictions, any more than today's aircraft can. And remember, there will be 10,00 times as many flying vehicles as the conventional aircraft in our skies today.

Skullislander wrote:
Visibility would probably be better up in the sky, there would be less light pollution---the other gliding craft and their lights would provide easy point of visual reference . . .

So, you think "visibility would be better up in the sky" — I assume you mean up there where the rain, snow, hail, and clouds are?

Remember, these flying cars can't wander up into the commercial air traffic lanes without getting nailed by an airliner going 200+ mph (like the DeLorean almost did when it came back to 1985.) And unless these cars are built strong enough to be pressurized, they can't go as high as actual aircraft do anyway!

As for that all important visibility, ask any pilot if he'd feel comfortable avoiding other aircraft simply by "looking around" for other planes. Even on a bright and sunny day, he'd have to be able to see above, below, and behind his aircraft. Which is impossible.

Scary thought, sir. Shocked

Skullislander wrote:
Overtaking would be a blast as well---think of the multiple options!

Okay, let's think of those options.

If everybody can just swing around or fly over or duck under any flying vehicle they overtake, you face the the same risk as passing a conventional car on the road . . . multiplied exponentially!

Passing on the highway is potentially dangerous even when you stick to the passing lane on the left of the slower vehicle while that driver stays in his lane and doesn't swing over to block you.

But with flying cars that don't stay in lanes (horizontally or vertically), you'd end up playing "bumper cars" in the sky if every driver could duck around each other in any direction, at any moment!

After all, imagine how many "blind spots" a flying car has if there are vehicles above and below them, as well on the left and right!

Consider this: instead of thinking of flying cars as having "infinitely more possibilities for vehicle space", think of them as having "infinitely more directions from which they can collide with each other"!

Flying around in a three-dimensional environment is only free from danger if you are the only one up there!
Confused

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:

. . . As for that all important visibility, ask any pilot if he'd feel comfortable avoiding other aircraft simply by "looking around" for other planes. Even on a bright and sunny day, he'd have to be able to see above, below, and behind his aircraft. Which is impossible.

It's not only possible, it's done by thousands of pilots every day. It's called VFR (Visual Flight Rules).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_flight_rules
Skullislander
Solar Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Bud I have read all of your points and they are very well thought-out:

---but consider this:

---at some point in your life, you must have seen swarms of very small midge insects in a shaft of light out in the country somewhere and noticed there were were probably thousands all flying extremely close to each other, and doing very complicated airborne maneuvers.

You surely must have wondered to yourself, as I myself have:

---'why don't they crash into each other?!'

And these are insects with tiny brains that manage to do this!

What these insects are doing naturally is vastly more complex than the human equivalent of thousands of craft up in virtually endless airspace.

Granted, just transferring modern road problems up to a single limited level just moves the problem up to the sky but I feel flying cars would revolutionize available space for driving.

I absolutely get what you are saying about potential crashes with aircraft, but for example, the New York jetcar owners would just have to be banned from going anywhere near the flight paths of the three airports.

Most airplane flights are for traveling overseas, OK the States has loads of internal flights but is a vast nation with loads of airspace.

Still leaves plenty of space for everyone else and their rocket-cars!

Just sayin'!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: