ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gene Roddenberry's Original Sci-Fi Show

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject: Gene Roddenberry's Original Sci-Fi Show Reply with quote

Gene Roddenberry's Original Sci-Fi Show Before Star Trek

Most legends come from humble beginnings, and in some cases, their early works from before their big break resurface years later for us to read in awe. Star Trek's creator, Gene Roddenberry, is no exception to the rule, and a recent IndieWire exclusive gives us a look at one of his earliest pitches in the science-fiction genre.

Gene Roddenberry's first sci-fi pitch was with "The Transporter"

Predating Star Trek: The Original Series by over a decade, the pitch was called "The Transporter," and was intended to be an installment on the Ziv TV anthology series, Science Fiction Theatre.

This early document, which you can see below , is a brief, yet significant insight into the mind of Gene Roddenberry, who started writing for Ziv TV in 1955. Before he shifted gears to science fiction, he functioned as a liaison for the LAPD because he worked as a police officer in the early '50s
Gene Roddenberry's Original Sci-Fi Show Before Star Trek Revealed In Historic Document, Read It Now

© Provided by Giant Freakin Robot

During his early days working for the network, he worked with the writers for Jack Webb's Dragnet, a popular series that was centered on LAPD exploits and operations.

Working on Dragnet was how Gene Roddenberry cut his teeth as a writer early in his career. During this time, he took actual LAPD cases and distilled them into short treatments that would then be fleshed out and developed by Jack Webb's writing staff and turned into full scripts.

As his career took off, Roddenberry continued to work with the network under the pseudonym "Robert Wesley," and worked as a technical advisor for series like Mr. District Attorney and Highway Patrol, both of which he wrote and sold scripts for.

Having proven himself as a writer, Gene Roddenberry eventually wrote a treatment for "The Transporter," and for the first time ever we can read the document that not only reads like a pilot for Star Trek but also contains notations in pencil that were written by Roddenberry himself.

As the title suggests, the episode would have been what sounds like a rough sketch of the holodeck that would be further explored in Star Trek: The Animated Series, and The Next Generation decades later.

Though this initial treatment wasn't picked up when he first pitched it, Roddenberry must have known that he was onto something special because it's clear that the mind behind Star Trek was already thinking about bigger and better things.

This just goes to show you that sometimes you just have to wait for a brilliant idea to gestate, develop, and take on a life of its own. Gene Roddenberry's estate has reason to believe that "The Transporter" was his first attempt at writing science fiction.

He was just only beginning to explore this new and exciting territory, his writing still had room to grow into what would become the iconic Star Trek franchise that's just as relevant today as it was at its inception

The important takeaway from viewing this document is that every great writer has to start somewhere, and Gene Roddenberry is a prime example of somebody whose imagination and early vision would go on to have a profound impact on science fiction and pop culture that simply cannot be overstated.

So if you're pitching your own ideas and are discouraged by the seemingly never-ending process of rejections and revisions, just think about the world we'd be living in if Gene Roddenberry didn't believe in himself.

orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene Roddenberry's Original Sci-Fi Show Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Working on Dragnet was how Gene Roddenberry cut his teeth as a writer early in his career. During this time, he took actual LAPD cases and distilled them into short treatments that would then be fleshed out and developed by Jack Webb's writing staff and turned into full scripts.

As his career took off, Roddenberry continued to work with the network under the pseudonym "Robert Wesley," and worked as a technical advisor for series like Mr. District Attorney and Highway Patrol, both of which he wrote and sold scripts for.

Hmm... "Robert Wesley"? Wesley Crusher?

Dragnet, Mr. District Attorney and Highway Patrol were all staples of my childhood. Let's see just how much of an impression they made on me (these opening voice-overs are quoted from memory)...

Highway Patrol: "Whenever the laws of any state are broken, a duly authorized organization swings into action. It may be called the State Police, the State Troopers, the Militia, the Rangers, or the Highway Patrol."

Mr. District Attorney: "And it shall be my duty as District Attorney not only to prosecute to the limit of the law all persons accused of crime perpetrated within this county, but to defend with equal vigor the rights and privileges of all its citizens."

Dragnet (much shorter): "The story you are about to see is true. Names have been changed to protect the innocent."

WayneO
-----------
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gene Roddenberry's Original Sci-Fi Show Reply with quote

orzel-w wrote:
Hmm... "Robert Wesley"? Wesley Crusher?

Gene's full name was Eugene Wesley Roddenberry. He used the name Wesley for characters in many of his TV scripts, including Commodore Wesley in the Star Trek TOS episode "The Ultimate Computer."
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My full name is Bruce Morris Cook. I don't know what my parents were thinking when they saddled with that middle name, but whenever I tell it to anyone, they always say, "Oh! Like Morris the cat!"

I dislike cats. I'm a dog person. Rolling Eyes

This is AJ, my beloved canine companion through two bad marriages between 1971 and 1986.

AJ was an Eskimo Spitz, and his "bent over" ear on the left side was the result of an injury he received in a fight with a pack of five mongrel dogs one day while he was roaming around our apartment complex after I'd let him go outside alone to enjoy the freedom he enjoy on many occasions.

After the fight, AJ made his way back home, badly injured. Sad

I took him to a vet who showed me that all the bite marks on AJ were on the front half of this body. The vet explained that this showed AJ had never turned to flee from his attackers. Sad

A week later, while I was accompany him around the complex (still not on leash), we confronted the same pack of wild dogs. Together he and I chased those cowardly curs right out of the complex . . . forever. Cool

We were like Batman and Robin. (I was Robin.)

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gene's "Transporter" concept was most imaginative. Too ambitious for a 1955 television show at that time. A big budgeted feature film ala Forbidden Planet-style could have done this intriguing premise.

We see Gene adapting this story to his later works on Star Trek: TOS. In "The Cage" Star Trek pilot, the alien race of Talosians have become formidable telepaths, and over time, have become addicted to their mental fantasies to the point that they've neglected their real lives. Their civilization has fallen into decay because they prefer their dream worlds to their actual day-to-day existence.

"Shore Leave" sees the discovery of an unknown planet by the Enterprise crew. On the surface of that world, they find that anything that they can imagine will become real.

On Star Trek: The Animated Series, the Enterprise crew returns to the "Shore Leave" planet in the episode "Once Upon a Planet."

The idea was also utilized by others. The Matrix film series deals in a similar concept with AI creating dreams for their enslaved humans.

The marvelous television series "Reverie" was about a woman who could enter the Virtual Realities of individuals who could not, or would not, leave their inner-dream life. Even at the cost of their own existence. Her challenging mission was to assist these folks out of their imaginary lives in order to save them from themselves. Sadly the show was a short-lived one even though it offered so much potential.

As often has been said about Gene, he was a visionary.
Krel
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It became know not long after TNG started that Wesley Crusher was Gene Roddenberry's avatar on the show. It must have been soul and ego crushing for GR that WC became the most hated character on the show. GR would go to Star Trek Conventions and see large banners reading, SPACE WESLEY.

David.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just remembered that the mysterious Nexus in the feature film: Star Trek: Generations also shared this concept created by Gene. In the film, the Nexus was a mysterious force where you could step inside it and create a joyful life for yourself. You could imagine anything you wanted that would give you total happiness. It wasn't real, of course, and it could become addictive.

Gene had passed away some years before ST: TNG made their film debut. So he wasn't responsible for this production, but his concept for the "Transporter" certainly can be seen with this movie.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
It became know not long after TNG started that Wesley Crusher was Gene Roddenberry's avatar on the show. It must have been soul and ego crushing for GR that WC became the most hated character on the show. GR would go to Star Trek Conventions and see large banners reading, SPACE WESLEY.

I admit that I personally feel that Will Wheaton was not the right choice to play Wesley Crusher, and the dumb idea to let him sit at the helmsman's station was a mistake, but the character could have been an appealing aspect of the show.

Consider the character on Seaquest DSV played by Jonathan Brandis. He was a brilliant teenager with an appealing personality, and yet he suffered from anxiety because he wasn't treated as an adult.

He frequently proved his worthiness to be a part of the crew, and he had an unspoken father/son relationship with the captain, played by Roy Scheider.

The difference between the acting abilities of Will Wheaton and Jonathan Brandis are striking, not to mention the way their characters where handled by the screenwriters.

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Cronenberg's 1999 film eXistenZ also uses the idea of a game that creates an alternate reality in the player's mind. You literally plug it into yourself!

Bud Brewster wrote:
I dislike cats. I'm a dog person. Rolling Eyes

I adore cats. I've always said that anyone who says they don't like cats just hasn't met the right cat.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's my thoughts on this subject.

Dogs are like loyal and affection women. They love a man without question and without reservation. Dogs show their appreciation for kind words by wagging their tails.

Cats are like a selfish woman. They demand what they need, and they show no gratitude when when they get it. They invoke no response when thev get what the need . . . but physical contact invokes just one a response in the form of purring.

In other words, dogs are caring, unselfish creatures.

Cats, in other words, are the reverse;.

To prove my point, this is AJ — the loyal dog I had for fifteen years.

And his is my ex-wife, whose hostile behavior deliberately drove me away so she wouldn't be blamed for the divorce by my children.

And THAT, guys, it why I dislike cats.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Brewster wrote:
Cats are like a selfish woman. They demand what they need, and they show no gratitude when when they get it. They invoke no response when they get what the need . . . but physical contact invokes just one a response in the form of purring.

You couldn't be more wrong. Cats can be the sweetest, most loving and affectionate creatures (as demonstrated by thousands of cat videos on YouTube). It's just that you have to earn a cat's affection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: