ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 11-4-23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:14 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 11-4-23 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

This is the episode in which Riker does the bedroom boogie woogie with a holodeck honey named Minuet. I can't help thinking that holodeck lovers are just one step up from The Stepford Wives — except that no actual wife are murdered to make room for bedroom robots. Mr. Green

TNG episode #15: 11001001

11001001 episode #15, first season / Air Date: 2/1/88 written by Maurice Hurley, Robert Lewin; Directed by Paul Lynch

Touted by many fans as the best holodeck story, this isn't so much about some adventure inside the holodeck as it is about a particular character created there, under special circumstances i.e. a special program.

Reps from a race known as the Bynars are supposed to upgrade the computer on the Enterprise at Starbase 74. These Bynars are another interesting aspect of the episode; they're like living representations of the binary language of computers. They live and work in pairs and communicate mostly in a computer language, having a direct connection to their main computer via 'buffer' units they wear.

Come to think of it, they're like an early, benign version of the Borg (introduced in the 2nd season)

The Bynars enhance the computer, including the capability of the holodeck, and Riker finds himself enthralled by the latest holo-character, a lady named Minuet (Carolyn McCormick), in the setting of a Parisian bar. Picard also joins them (Picard seems to really want to 'hang' with Riker in this episode).

Meanwhile, the magnetic containment field for the anti-matter is suddenly deteriorating; unknown to Picard & Riker, Data orders everyone to abandon ship. The ship is then sent out of the starbase since it's believed it is about to explode.

Of course, that doesn't happen. Besides the beguiling Minuet (not so much to me, but to Riker),

I noted a more grim resolve from Picard than what I was used to this first season. At one point, he decides to initiate a self-destruct sequence (recalling the couple of times Kirk did this), surprising Riker and the audience.

But, in all, this was a good example of how this new Trek show differed from the original in style and tone — there is no actual sharply-defined threat or conflict that the characters need to face and overcome by the end; this was all merely an alien way of asking for help.

BoG's Score: 7 out of 10

TNG Trivia: Gene Dynarski, who plays a starbase commander here, guest-starred on 2 TOS episodes: Mudd's Women and The Mark of Gideon. His character here, commander Quinteros, had been in charge of the team that assembled Enterprise-D.

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: