ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does Star Trek need its old fans?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldogtrekker
Space Sector Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Does Star Trek need its old fans? Reply with quote

Does Star Trek need its old fans?
Den of Geek

As Paramount hunts for a director to replace Roberto Orci on the next Star Trek movie, is it time to win back more core fans?

The departure of Roberto Orci as director of the as-yet-untitled third film in JJ Abram's rebooted Star Trek continuity has cast a little doubt on the future of a franchise that has already spent a lot of time on unsure footing. Although Star Trek's new cast is undeniably packed with talent and the look of the films has been both technically and aesthetically stunning, the stories have arguably failed to capture the same newly-invigorated feeling. Both movies have been watchable blockbusters by current standards, but for all their budget and star power, neither has arguably been close to reaching the iconic heights of Star Trek at its best.

Admittedly, that may be a biased assessment. If you grew up with the original series, or Star Trek: The Next Generation, or even latter spin-offs like Deep Space Nine, Voyager, and Enterprise, then of course Abrams' take on the franchise -- one that explicitly sweeps aside old continuity - faces an uphill struggle. One might argue that it's not just acceptable to alienate the existing audience when attempting to court a larger one, it's actively necessary.

Despite its attempts to link the old continuity with the new one, Abrams' Trek was never primarily aimed at the franchise's hardcore fans, but at general audiences who needed only the baseline levels of cultural familiarity with Star Trek to enjoy it. Rather than being aimed at existing viewers, it was aimed at those who wanted to see a big name director doing a big name sci-fi blockbuster. ......

LINK:
http://www.denofgeek.us/movies/star-trek/242126/does-star-trek-need-its-old-fans

Last edited by bulldogtrekker on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I'm a fan of the original ST series since I was a teen when it first debuted.

Followed ST:TNG,ST:DSN,ST:V,ST:E too.

Cannot warm up to this new movie version at all. Friend of mine, same age & a fellow fan, enjoys it. Go figure?
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow: Thanks for crystallizing an important question. I've been frustrated for years by the fact that the fun of TOS just never made it to most of the movies and the other series -- with the exception of the 2nd and 3rd TNG movies and many of the episodes of Voyager.

I know some folks will want to beam me out into space for thinking that -- but that's just how I feel.

The new movies are rousing adventures, and they work up a good sweat trying to give us all the beloved Trek trappings, but somehow the Prime Directive just isn't there:

. . . to boldly go where no man has gone before, to find out lots of cool stuff, and to only interfere with the alien cultures when the audience is just itchin' for you too!

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:01 pm; edited 4 times in total
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest audiences to please are (1) those who had read the original book before seeing the movie; (2) those who were first exposed to the original TV or movie version during the time their hormones were at or near their peak and are now old farts.

WayneO
-----------
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much as I hate to admit it, Wayne the Wise has stated the problem quite succinctly . . . Sad

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll always be a big old fan of Star Trek and its various iterations with the exception of the Abrams monstrosity.

Should movie studios decide to go in search of a fresh & younger audience and compromise the franchise horribly, I'll walk away from their productions. I'll remain a devotee to the ST productions I've enjoyed, and hope and pray that one day some savvy writers & producers will do ST the justice it deserves.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't go home again!

Yeah, Wayne called it right on. I can watch the new versions....and maybe even enjoy them somewhat...Mainly because I guess I'm forcing myself to.

I think I prefer the old originals for the same reason I love the old sitcoms, DICK VAN DYKE, HONEYMOONERS ETC. They take me back when "Sense of Wonder" was a sparkle in my eyes and a doorway to my imagination.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek Movies and related subjects All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: