ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Island of Lost Women (1959)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Island of Lost Women (1959) Reply with quote

__

This is apparently a very obscure, low-budget film released by WB in 1959 and shown on TCM on December 11, 2014 — and I'm not sure it's ever been on TV before. I'd never even heard of it until TCM showed it!

It's not really a bad movie, but it certainly doesn't have anything very noteworthy — except the three pretty girls who have grown up in Altaira-like isolation on an uncharted Pacific island with their Morbius-like father (Alan Napier, aka Alfred of Batman TV fame).

__

The daughters are named after three planets — Venus, Mercuria, and (oh my goodness), Urana. I'm happy to report that they dress like that pretty girl from Altair 4, too. What was her name? Oh, right . . . Altaira. (Hmmm. I'm sensing a pattern here.)

__

Two handsome pilots crash land on the island, and Alan won't let them leave because he thinks the civilized world is chock-full of evil, and he doesn't want his gorgeous young daughters or his super-duper power source to fall into the wrong hands.

The island is just a set, similar to a certain 1960s sitcom with seven castaways whose three-hour cruise turned into 98 episodes that will rerun forever. But the girls are just as cute as Ginger and Mary Ann. Lucky for them, the boys are noble souls who want to take two of them back to civilization and marry them.

__

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:26 am; edited 8 times in total
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing that as a kid!
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched this one recently on TCM. The science fiction angle was kind of supplement to the plot but I guess it helped sell things with these '50s era drive-in movies. It's always nice to see Alan Napier in anything. And by golly, when somebody points a flame-throwing Lugar at you, do what you're told!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YouTube has a nice copy.

___________________ Island Of Lost Women

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diane Jergens (March 31, 1935~October 9, 2018) who plays Urana was married to actor Peter Brown from 1958~1960. Peter starred on the TV westerns "Lawman" from 1958 to 1962 as Deputy Johnny McKay. "Laredo" 1965~1967 had Peter playing Texas Ranger Chad Cooper on the rowdy, funny series which remains one of my favorite westerns to this day.

Diane would make numerous appearances on television shows over her career, including "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett" for 10 episodes.

June Blair (October 20, 1933) who played Mercuria would marry David Nelson (October 24, 1936~January 11, 2011) and co-star with him on "The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriett" playing his onscreen wife in the classic sitcom.
June and David were married from 1961 until 1975.

Venus was played by British actress Venetia Stevenson (March 10, 1938). She would be married to actor Russ Tamblyn from 1956 to 1957, and Don Everly of the Everly Brothers from 1962 to 1970. And yes, she would guest star on Ozzie & Harriet too.

John Smith (1931~1995) played pilot Joe Walker. John played Slim Sherman on the TV western "Laramie" from 1959 to 1963.
He would co-star with John Wayne in "Circus World."
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike! The cast of this movie is more distinguished than I thought!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: