ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FEATURED THREADS for 2-13-24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: FEATURED THREADS for 2-13-24 Reply with quote

If you're not a member of All Sci-Fi, registration is easy. Just use the registration password, which is —

gort

Attention members! If you've forgotten your password, just email me at Brucecook1@yahoo.com.

Here's a few interesting comments from All Sci-Fi member Phantom about a well-regarded movie I own a DVD of . . . but have never watched! Shocked

I bought it for the other movies the box set contains. I'm afraid that Zombies simply don't "float my boat" . . . Rolling Eyes

The Last Man on Earth

I saw this in ’64 on a double bill with some forgettable muscle man picture and didn’t like a frame of it. Avoided the movie for decades while Heston made The Omega Man (liked it even less) and Will Smith gave it a third and thoroughly disappointing try.

So, it was about time for a re-assessment, and lo and behold, Price’s journey through the landscape of the undead is much better than I remembered.

Price was on an AIP roll at the time, so how or why he ended up in Italy in an almost no-budget picture only he could have explained. We are lucky he made the decision; director Ubaldo Ragona is even more fortunate in enticing the highly respected and sought after American actor to accept the job. Price takes the role very seriously. There is none of that tongue-in-cheek approach he adopted for the latter part of his career that endeared him to his fans. In this Matheson adaptation he is world weary to the bone and deadly serious about his mission, exactly the right tone for a movie that he had to carry alone for the American audience.

Franco Delli Colli’s b/w photography gives the film a far more unearthly ambiance than the color remakes. Nightmares are meant to be in monochrome in which the eye is not distracted by a myriad of hues and shades. Mario Bava, an artistic genius, was one of the few directors to successfully marry disturbed dreams with floods of color.

This shot of a dead body, or possibly a vampire, is far more effective in b/w. Color would reveal make up and defects that never seem authentic when applied to one’s face.

Wild animals roam the empty streets in the beginning of Will Smith’s I am Legend. It’s a remarkable, memorable image, but conveys none of the unnerving devastation envisioned in The Last Man on Earth.

A few items from the IMDB pages:

Quote:
Vincent Price admitted in later years, to having a fondness for the movie and rated it as superior to The Omega Man (1971).

Quote:
Charlton Heston viewed this film before proceeding with his remake The Omega Man (1971). He described this version as "incredibly botched, totally unfrightening, ill-acted, sloppily written and photographed."

Quote:
Despite being regarded as the most faithful version to the novel, there are some noticeable differences. For example it depicts the vampires as slow-moving and uncoordinated. In the novel, the vampires were fast and agile.

What worked in the book doesn’t necessarily work in a movie. I prefer the slow vampires over the leaping ninja dead in Smith’s opus.

Quote:
Richard Matheson originally wrote the script in 1957, at which point it was to have been produced by Hammer Films with Fritz Lang slated to direct.

Quote:
This film was originally going to be produced by Hammer Films of Great Britain. It decided not to make the film and passed the script over to its US associate, Robert L. Lippert, which produced the film in Italy.

A Hammer film written by Richard Matheson and directed by Fritz Lang boggles the mind!

Quote:
Established by many reviewers (including director George A. Romero himself) as a graphic blueprint for Night of the Living Dead (1968).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> What's New at All Sci-Fi All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: