ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Doomsday Machine (1972)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: The Doomsday Machine (1972) Reply with quote

A cast full of familiar names might tempt you watch this one, but be forewarned: it's pretty bad.

The crew of an expedition to Venus watches Earth being destroyed by atomic war. Despite the fact that the group doesn't get along so well, they bravely face the fact that the survival of the race depends on how quickly they can start making babies.

Hey, it's a thankless job, but somebody's gotta do it. Rolling Eyes

Exterior shots of the rocket in flight are borrowed from "Warning from Space" (1956 Japanese).

The cast includes Grant Williams ("The Incredible Shrinking Man", "The Monolith Monsters"), Mala Powers ("The Colossus of New York", "The Unknown Terror"), Mike Farrell (M.A.S.H.), Ruta Lee, Bobby Van, and Casey Kasem.

Directed by Lee Sholem and Harry Hope.

Enjoy this odd film on Youtube.

_____________ The Doomsday Machine (1972)

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:14 pm; edited 7 times in total
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also see 3 pix with actor Denny Miller in 'em.

Denny passed away early this year.

Some may remember him as scout Duke Shannon on the Wagon Train series. He also played Tarzan, the only blonde one, for a TV-movie.

Denny had tons of tv credits.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, he really WAS a fine looking Lord of the Apes, wasn't he? Very Happy
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find a trailer for this wacky movie, but I found a wacky review that pokes fun at it. The comments aren't particular clever, but it got a giggle or two out of me. Very Happy

___________ Movie Review: Doomsday Machine

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much liked Bobby Van in the remake of LOST HORIZON. Even though as a musical it very much changes the impact of the original. I always was a sucker for Burt Bacharach and his music.

But how do you improve on Frank Capra?
Bogmeister
Galactic Fleet Vice Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was one of those films which was mostly shot in 1967 but, due to money problems, wasn't finished up with final footage until 5 years later.

It's the story of a space expedition to Venus. It begins on Earth when there are tensions among the world powers. The crew of the expedition later watches Earth being destroyed by atomic war. Despite the fact that the group doesn't get along so well, they bravely face the fact that the survival of the race depends on how quickly they can start making babies.

Exterior shots of the rocket in flight are borrowed from Gorath (1962 Japanese) and interior shots from Wizard of Mars (65).

The cast includes Grant Williams (The Incredible Shrinking Man, The Monolith Monsters) in an atypical role (wound too tight), Mala Powers (The Colossus of New York, The Unknown Terror), Mike Farrell (M*A*S*H*), and other faces that are very familiar to film fans in the 1960s — Ruta Lee, Bobby Van, and Casey Kasem. Directed by Harry Hope and Lee Sholem (the new footage).

I have a double feature DVD on which this is paired with Werewolf of Washington, an Elvira's Movie Macabre release (Elvira used to host a program with such films, offering introductions and commentary during breaks; one can watch the film with her hosting it as an option on the DVD).

We see the bare back of a younger actress — I think her name is Lori Scott. Mala Powers plays a slightly older, stern Russian astronaut. Mike Farrell of M*A*S*H* fame shows up in one scene as a reporter.

This isn't that bad in the first three-quarters of the film, but the final act is all but unwatchable — to me at least. I think that's where all the footage from another film was inserted to finally finish the film and it presents what should be one minute of astronauts getting into a space capsule and sitting down as a 10-minute scene, as if in super slow motion. On top of that, we never get to see them reaching Venus — that plot had to be changed for the ending.

___________ Doomsday Machine (1972) SCI-FI

BoG's Score: 3 out of 10

BoG
Galaxy Overlord Galactus
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 1970 to 2000 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: