ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Top 10 Biggest Design Flaws In The U.S.S. Enterprise
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television
View previous topic :: View next topic  
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another design flaw of the TOS Enterprise is the offset-angled command bridge. This was done to include the bridge elevator in most bridge filming shots.

IMO (and by logic)... the elevator should have been located directly behind the Captains chair - directly across the bridge from the main view-screen. Thus, allowing the bridge to correctly align with the ship's 'real' bow direction.

Fans say that placing the elevator at that location is a security threat to the Captain. To that I say... restore the 'elevator security guard', as was used in "The Cage" pilot episode. Seen in the background of this capture image:

I liked that idea. However, I might prefer the elevator guard to be robot - as Dr. Morbius had, to guard the door of his house.
Wink
Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall when I first saw the Enterprise ship design I was hoping we finally would have TV series that depicted plausible artificial gravity in a spacecraft. The saucer section would obviously be an enormous centrifuge, allowing the crew to have some semblance of gravity for much of their day. Then, of course, I had to realize the ship was simply a really oddly shaped office building and the saucer shape had no significance whatsoever. Oh, well. I still glued the AMT model together and watched every episode (and all succeeding Trek stuff).

I'm still kind of sore at them for using barely explained phantom artificial gravity. The concept is still used today, and nobody really seems to care much, still. I thought there was hope when I saw a centrifuge section on the space station in the current series The 100. Then I realized they had phantom artificial gravity in all the sections not rotating as well. It never ends.
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "enormous centrifuge" would not work on a space-ship, which must frequently make changes to it's flight course. It's like trying to force a spinning gyroscope to tilt - the mechanism resists any change, when it is spinning.

It only works for a stationary platform... like a space-station.

Tired of waiting on NASA to adopt Flying Saucer technology! Sick of human political-representative government! I want 1970: COLOSSUS (The Forbin Project) A.I. - as World Control government! Providing flying saucer tech, "For the betterment of man."
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was couple of years from my first physics class when I was 13. I've always thought the idea of rapidly changing direction on space would be iffy anyway, though. At the very least it would seem to take a lot of fuel.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guards permanently posted by the door of the Bridge. Could you imagine a more boring duty? Wonder how long their shifts would be?
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
Could you imagine a more boring duty?

A boring job is why I suggested a robot to be used. Robots don't get bored!

Here's another image (from "Dagger Of The Mind" episode) of a guard posted to the bridge elevator. This time he is armed - as a real guard should be.

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:
Another design flaw of the TOS Enterprise is the offset-angled command bridge. This was done to include the bridge elevator in most bridge filming shots.

IMO (and by logic)... the elevator should have been located directly behind the Captains chair - directly across the bridge from the main view-screen. Thus, allowing the bridge to correctly align with the ship's 'real' bow direction.

But why should the bridge have to face "forward"? The main viewscreen is a monitor, not a window. The ship has artificial gravity and inertial damping systems to keep the crew from being smeared into jelly whenever there's a rapid change of speed or direction, so there'd be no sense of acceleration. Besides, only three bridge stations -- the command chair and the helm and navigation stations -- face front relative to the bridge centerline. The rest are arranged around the perimeter facing outward.

The bridge could be oriented to face left, right or backwards and it wouldn't make any difference.

Rocky Jones wrote:
I recall when I first saw the Enterprise ship design I was hoping we finally would have TV series that depicted plausible artificial gravity in a spacecraft. The saucer section would obviously be an enormous centrifuge, allowing the crew to have some semblance of gravity for much of their day. Then, of course, I had to realize the ship was simply a really oddly shaped office building and the saucer shape had no significance whatsoever.

I'm still kind of sore at them for using barely explained phantom artificial gravity. The concept is still used today, and nobody really seems to care much, still.

Using a centrifuge to simulate gravity is just so 20th-century. If we can accept faster-than-light travel via "space warp" using matter-antimatter engines, and transporters, and phaser weapons that can do everything from disintegrating matter to heating up rocks, I have no trouble accepting artificial gravity.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there may be loopholes around the light speed limit, but gravity is a basic phenomenon, not a force and it's pretty unlikely we'll ever have a handy switch that will turn it on and off. I won't rule anything out, but I wouldn't bank on it. I suspect our first real interstellar craft will be almost all storage and engine, with a relatively tiny section for crew and at least one centrifuge. Hopefully by that time, though, we'll be able to reduce ourselves to data strings for almost volume-less transport and easy regeneration at the destination with no sense of time passage.
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

larryfoster wrote:
The "enormous centrifuge" would not work on a space-ship, which must frequently make changes to it's flight course. It's like trying to force a spinning gyroscope to tilt - the mechanism resists any change, when it is spinning.

Would a pair of counter-rotating centrifuges nullify the gyroscopic effect?

WayneO
-----------
larryfoster
Space Ranger

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. I'm not sure, but I think that would only double the resistance to its axle orientation change.
Robert (Butch) Day
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two (or more) centrifuges would only create more nodes of axis. This was a problem with the early ICBMs and the predecessors the IRBMs.
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never could quite warm up to the shuttlecraft design for ST:TOS. I didn't hate it but it was just okay for me. My fantasy would be that the Enterprise shuttlecrafts would have been the Eagles from Space: 1999.
Rocky Jones
Astral Engineer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree on the shuttlecraft. It would have been great to have something like the similarly shaped, but vastly cooler Spacemobile from the Space Family Robinson comics:

Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a collector of the Dell/Gold Key Comics. Always liked the design for the Robinson spacecraft in the comics as well as their shuttles.
scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pow wrote:
I never could quite warm up to the shuttlecraft design for ST:TOS.
I didn't hate it but it was just okay for me.
My fantasy would be that the Enterprise shuttlecrafts would have been the Eagles from Space:1999.

The Eagles, with their tubular skeleton framework and interchangeable mission pods, are believable and practical for spacecraft that never enter a planet's atmosphere. Unfortunately, later episodes of Space: 1999 showed Eagles landing and taking off from planet surfaces, destroying their credibility.

On Star Trek, anything with rocket engine bells and recognizable RCS thruster blocks would have looked like an antique.

Rocky Jones wrote:
I have to agree on the shuttlecraft. It would have been great to have something like the similarly shaped, but vastly cooler Spacemobile from the Space Family Robinson comics:

Master kitbasher John Payne (who I'm sure some of you are familiar with) did something a bit like that with AMT's AMTronic model kit.

http://www.inpayne.com/models/kitbash/shuttle_exec_det.html[/size]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Star Trek on Television All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: