ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sail the Sea of Stars - Prologue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sail the Sea of Stars by Bruce Cook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject: Sail the Sea of Stars - Prologue Reply with quote

This is the prologue which explains how large parts of the novel are written in third person, even though the main character presents the story as a first-person narrative.

Literary wise, it's not really a new idea, and this is actually common in autobiographies, too.
Very Happy

PROLOGUE

What you???re about to read is a detailed description of the famous incident which occurred on Nestria, a planet in the Large Magellanic Cloud. You may think you already know the whole story, based the hours of news reports and the hundreds of documentaries which circulated all over the galaxy.

It was, as they say, the Story of the Century.

But there???s more to this story than most people know. I can say that because I was there. I saw it all ??? and there was quite a lot to see.

And yet this description of the incident contains much more than what I experienced first hand. To make this account of the event as accurate as possible, I was allowed to view the recordings made by the internal and external cameras of the Galactic Stellacruiser Candlelight, along with many of the other starships involved in the incident ??? including the starships from the planet Beltheria, the race of rogue humans who were responsible for all the conflicts and personal tragedies.

Add to this the fact that I studied the reports submitted by the people involved, along with the results of the official investigation of the incident which was conducted by the Galactic Alliance of Sentient Life. All this research made it possible for me to give a very detailed and accurate description, even when I described events which happened while I was not physically present.

But this is not just a comprehensive collection of the facts connected with this historic event. With no false modesty, I can honestly state that I have a knack for punching up a narrative by giving it all the warmth, charm, and humor it needs to hold the attention of my readers and make them forget their reading history. This might sound like a wild adventure, packed with action, romance, and cosmic sight-seeing ??? but it???s all true. I promise.

After all, could anybody make up a story like this?

Lt. David Newcastle
Alliance Armed Forces ~ Stellafleet Division
August 16, 2348

* Large Magellanic Cloud

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 5 times in total
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does give a context to the narrative.
Thanx,
Still looking forward to the rest!
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! And I appreciate the way you pointed out the need for the prologue.

Actually, when I pulled out the original type-written manuscript to add the prologue yesterday, I was very disappointed by the way it read. That's not really surprising, since I wrote it in 1982 and hadn't given it a good look since that time.

So, I started from scratch and wrote the one above, cutting out 90% my attempts to be witty, and reducing the length by half. The revised version is much better, and your encouraging words are greatly appreciated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sail the Sea of Stars by Bruce Cook All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: