ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doctor Strange (2016)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Doctor Strange (2016) Reply with quote

I absolutely LOVED the Marvel Doctor Strange comics in the 1960s!

I remembered being dazzled by the issue that presented the battle between Doctor Strange and Eternity, which was featured in this panel.

Steve Ditko's artwork influenced my own efforts (even though I ended up going in directions which don't demonstrate that influence in my later artwork), but his clean style and strong geometric composition are clearly visible in my earlier stuff, if you know where to look — like this one from the 1980s, with the stark shadows, the dramatic poses, and the clear division between the picture's elements.

This new movie which is coming out soon is getting great reviews, and I love the casting of Benedict Cumberbatch, an actor who seems born to play roles like this one and Sherlock Holmes.

I have high hopes for this movie. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why the USA is getting the movie later than other places - surely having it available for the Halloween season makes sense?

I watched the 3D version on Thursday, since its timing was convenient at our local cineplex, and enjoyed it - though I'm not sure what Stan Lee, in his cameo, found so hilarious, as there wasn't really time to see the title of the booklet he was reading. I should mention that there are the usual pair of extra final scenes, one after the main credits with the doctor having a cosy chat with a familiar face, who is enjoying the way his mug of beer keeps refilling himself (so maybe Doctor Strange will turn up in the next scheduled Marvel movie?)... and at the very end, a confrontation between Mordo and a relatively minor character from the tale.

Both newspaper reviews I've seen gave it 4 stars out of 5, and I'd go along with that. The Inception-style battles where gravity and the city twists around are great, and while things do necessarily take a little while to get rolling, after that all is swift and sure. It seems that the Eye of Agamotto is an Infinity Gem, by the way... Surprised
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely sounds like a winner, Custer! Thanks for the good news. Very Happy

Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read a third four-star newspaper review, which mentions that Stan Lee was reading a copy of The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley as he rode along in a bus, having too much fun to notice the magical mayhem outside.

The trailers shown before the film were generally an interesting bunch, with J-Law and Chris Pratt waking up too early on a proper science-fictional generation ship, and of course Rogue One's trailer, not to mention Guardians of the Galaxy 2... Smile
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custer wrote:
... J-Law and Chris Pratt waking up too early on a proper science-fictional generation ship...

That would be Passengers, for which we have a thread started.

WayneO
-----------
Custer
Space Sector Commander

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, that was the trailer I saw on the big screen. I wonder what her reaction will be when he lets drop that he's the Legendary Star-Lord...?

The actual title "Passengers" may be a bit non-committal, but the whole concept seems to be just, well, so science-fictional.
Very Happy
orzel-w
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We (Carol and I) went to see the Strange Doctor yesterday, and were very much impressed. The effects are certainly mindbending. I applaud the CGI and art departments for coming up with such imaginative visuals. The writers, as well, performed their job admirably.

WayneO
-----------
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah know, I remember distinctly the first time I read a DOCTOR STRANGE story. I had purchased a couple comics on my way home from school and STRANGE TALES was one of my favorites. (I can't adequately explain the power these four color wonders had over me, but let me say it was like an insight to a new fantastic reality!)

This first story began after the origin (Which was to come a few issues later.) The Ditko art was perfect to the mood of the story, and in just a few pages my mind was expanded more than a dozen hits of LSD could possibly do!

The movie was absolutely true to spirit of the original, and I absolutely loved it! I saw it in 3-D IMAX and it was awesome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Movies in Other Genres All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: