ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forbidden Planet (1956)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krel wrote:
And just think of all the little visitors you'll have joining you in your home. Tarantulas, scorpions, Gila Monsters, rattle snakes, and other little visitors I can't think of, and don't know about.

Heck...I'd just program my ROBBY to ZAP any of them critters!

Actually, we stay with friends in Arizona in the desert and that's not a big problem. Of course I'd have to enclose a lot of the open spaces with glass and a mesh fence around the pool area keeps out rattlers. Do see a lot of geckos and the occasional scorpion.

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My late and beloved mother (the lady who bore a stricking resemblance to Mrs. Watchett in The Time Machine) —

_

— lived in Sunriver, a retirement community in St. George, Utah from 2002 until 2006, and I visited her beautiful subdivision every year in the summers when I was on vacation as a teacher.

In all that time I never spotted a single desert critter in the area!

Maybe the fact that St. Georgia is one of the top retirement communities in America — packed with lush subdivisions and green golf courses — has driven away the desert fauna! Shocked

However, my point is that if any of us decide to replicate the Morbius home in a Midwestern region, the area around St. George would be ideal, because it's "critter free" and packed with golf courses, convenient shopping, and advanced medical facilities for old geezers like me who are on their last leg! Very Happy

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No place, and I mean NO PLACE, is critter free. You may not see them, but they are there.

My Sister and her Husband have lived in Scottsdale (Don't call it Phoenix! Laughing) since about 1996. In that time, they have seen one tarantula, on their fence wall, a few scorpions outside. They are careful about leaving the doors open, but keep a UV flashlight just to be safe. Scorpions glow in UV light. No rattlers, they live in a subdivision, which is a bit active for ol' no shoulders liking. But that doesn't mean that there is zero chance of one showing up. They have had to use their back door a couple of times when a Gila Monster decided their front entrance was the place to be.

There are Coyotes, and they are not afraid of humans and will walk right past you. Everyone has a six or seven foot cinder-block fence. This is because of sandstorms, the wall helps block the sand. These walls are highways to the coyotes, they walk up to the wall and jump straight up to the top. So if you have a small dog or other animal, you do not let them outside without you being there. Large dogs are also in danger if there is more than one coyote.

The rule is that if you have any plants outside or around the house, you DO NOT stick your hand in without a thorough examination.

David.
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well heck, obviously the real reason I never saw the critters in Utah was because I only visited my mother once or twice a year and stayed for a few weeks while we took long driving trips to various Nation Parks around the country!

So, in retrospect, my critter-free experiences were not really indications that the area wasn't much more heavily populated than I thought. Embarassed

In fact, when Mom sent me THIS picture of her house, I thought she was just kiddin' me! Shocked

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet CLINT EASTWOOD could shoot down that critter!
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Wait, Clint! Don't fire! That's my Momma's house!" Shocked

Krel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that I may have written about this in another thread, but tarantulas can be VERY dangerous in Arizona. Every year there is a mass tarantula migration, which crosses roads and highways. The roads get so slick with crushed tarantulas that there are many motor vehicle accidents, some of which are very serious or even fatal. Shocked

Fortunately this does not happen in the area where my sister lives. I know, because I've asked. Laughing

I don't have arachnophobia, but I would hate to live in the migration area where my house would be surrounded by thousands of tarantulas as they moved through my yard and around my home. It would be too close to a real life "Kindom of the Spiders". Laughing

David.
Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought it was time to go back to the FORBIDDEN PLANET theme~
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apolgies, folks, but I was too lazy to go through the 129 pages of this great thread to see if the YouTube video below had already been posted. Sad

Admittedly, I'm reasonably sure it actually HAS — but since nobody else wants to spend an hour looking for it either, I posted it again. Very Happy

Besides, the version version below is only a year old, and it says "HD" — so it might look better than the previous one!

Enjoy!_

_________ Forbidden Planet- Lost Footage [HD]

By the way, while watching Guardians of Galaxy Vol. 2 today I came to the sad realization that Forbidden Planet will NEVER be successfully remade, simply because today's culture (and thus, today's audiences) don't give a rat's ass about movies which are remotely like this beloved classic. Sad

Please consider this.

Forbidden Planet is a slow and careful presentation of complex concepts. But they are presented with visually beautiful scenes that linger on artistic creations produced in ways which are now considered . . . obsolete. Sad

It's also designed to move along at a measured pace that allows the audience plenty of time to assimilate the story's intellectually challenging elements.

This unique movie's only two action scenes — the Id Monster's attacks on both the ship and the Morbius house — are intended to ramp up the film's drama after the audience has been allowed to carefully digest the mind-boggling ideas which preceded these climatic moments!

Unfortunately, today's audiences have lost the ability to appreciate a story of this kind.

To put it bluntly, Forbidden Planet is a gourmet meal which really can't be enjoyed by a culture raised on sack lunches from fast food restaurants. Sad

We who grew up in the very different culture from sixty years ago must accept the fact that Forbidden Planet can NOT be recreated in a manner which today's culture could understand or appreciate.

In the last 80 years, our cultural has gone from Forbidden Planet . . . to 2001: A Space Odyssey . . . to Star Wars . . . to Avatar.

A modern remake of Forbidden Planet might be possible which honored the original's concept and its visual beauty . . . but I doubt that it would please the elderly fans like me who grew up in the 1950s and adored the brilliance of the original!

However, perhaps modern filmmakers could succeed in presenting a version of this great story to today's audiences which would appeal to both their artistic sense and their intellectual curiosity — the way it did to ours.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the warm summer of 1978, I was stuck at home for a few weeks, recuperating from injuries I sustained after being hit by a vehicle while crossing the street. My left arm was in a cast, and my left hip was injured but not broken.

During that time I spent an enjoyable week carefully reading the double issue of the Cinefantastique article devoted to Forbidden Planet. Despite having my left arm in a cast and being left handed, I took several pages of notes! Very Happy

I learned a wealth of amazing things about this beloved movie. While doing so, I vowed to devote my meager artistic talents to creating a series of paintings and drawings dedicated to this remarkable cinematic achievement!

I had elaborate plans for creating scenes we didn't actually see in the movie, which would be based on the great story presented in this amazing film! I had many reference photos to use when I started the project.

For example, I possessed the complete twelve-picture "color set" of 8 X 10 stills which MGM provided in 1956 to promote the movie, as well as numerous black & white photos.

I also had several hundred 35mm slides my friends and I actually shot directly off the movie screen when we snuck cameras into an Atlanta "art house" theater which showed Forbidden Planet each year on a regular basis.

I used those 35mm "screen shots" (long before computers were available to do this digitally) to help me create some of the artwork shown below.

Guys, I actually imagined that my dream of the beautiful artwork in my Forbidden Planet Series would delight fellow fans when I displayed them at various science fiction conventions! Cool

Unfortunately I never fulfilled my lofty dream. The distractions of life and the requirements of raising a family after my two children were born in 1980 and 1983 interfered with my grand plans. Sad

However, here are the few pieces of artwork I managed to create during those busy years. I hope you guys will enjoy the ones shown below. Very Happy

Last edited by Bud Brewster on Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Christmas is six months away, folks, so you've got plenty of time to order one of these for your old pal, Bud! Cool

This magnificent creation actually fires a blue laser that can burst ballons, and it provides a great sound effect!

____ Junko's Forbidden Planet Blaster Conversion

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's time for a few more FORBIDDEN PLANET items!

Polar has released a new version of their classic C-57-d model with alternate decals. Interesting . . . but I don't really care for it. Original is best!

Next, there's a couple of new vids on Youtube dedicated to Morbius's residence —

MODEL OF MORBIUS HOUSE A homemade diorama of "The House". A little crude, but a lot of love in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs1-njm_MPU

A beautifully done walk through of the Residence —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTx9Yd3TRYI

Next up . . . Quaker Oats ran a promotion giving away tickets for FP —

scotpens
Starship Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:

Polar has released a new version of their classic C-57-d model with alternate decals. Interesting . . . but I don't really care for it. Original is best!

Yeah, the "alien" decals look rather silly. Their Forbidden Planet license must have expired, so they re-issued the kit with no mention of the source -- like Round 2/AMT's Not The Man From U.N.C.L.E. car.

Bud Brewster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gord Green wrote:
Next, there's a couple of new vids on Youtube dedicated to Morbius's residence —

MODEL OF MORBIUS HOUSE A homemade diorama of "The House". A little crude, but a lot of love in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fs1-njm_MPU

A beautifully done walk through of the Residence —

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTx9Yd3TRYI

The video of the "homemade Morbius residence" is extremely well done and enjoyable to watch.

The builder made some interesting changes, such as having the arches along the side of the house extend out over the road. He also made the rectangular extension go over the road as well — even though our own close examination of the matte painting revealed that it isn't the "breezeway" I once thought it was.

He mentions that the inside of the house doesn't seem to reflect the floor plan suggested by the exterior, something we've discussed here quite often. Very Happy

The other video is a fine "virtual tour" of the interior, with more realistic CGI than the one we're all familiar with. Beautifully done.

Great post, Dr. Gordius! Thanks!

Gord Green
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good old Bud Wrote
Quote:
The builder made some interesting changes, such as having the arches along the side of the house extend out over the road. He also made the rectangular extension go over the road as well — even though our own close examination of the matte painting revealed that it isn't the "breezeway" I once thought it was.

I think he made them as large as he did to accommodate his model of Robby's transporter and the "driveway" to the front entrance. I think we figured out that the "extension" was part of Morbius's lab and the entrance to the Krell tunnel leading to the Krell lab, therefore it would have to abut a rockface.

Still, even if not absolutely accurate I was touched by his love and passion for a almost 70 year old movie.

FORBIDDEN PLANET is truly a timeless masterpiece whose influence is eternaly appreciated!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies and Serials from 1950 to 1969 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 128, 129, 130 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 129 of 143

Jump to: