ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Io - Last on Earth (2019)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:02 am    Post subject: Io - Last on Earth (2019) Reply with quote

This one apparently didn't thrill too many folks, but it certainly sounds like a "thinking man's" science fiction story. The trailer certainly doesn't try to make it look like a cheery film, so I feel like I know what I'm getting into when I watch it.

Based on the trailer, none of the story takes place on Io. So, I wonder why they chose the title as Io. (Maybe 'cause it's so easy to spell? Confused

Here's the premise from Wikipedia.

The film is set in a post-apocalyptic present, where Earth's atmosphere has become toxic. Most humans have fled the planet, to live on a space station near Io, a moon of Jupiter.

Sam Walden is one of the few humans remaining on Earth. She lives alone at high altitude, where the air is still breathable, trying to raise bees that can survive in the atmosphere. Her intent is to use the bees to eventually clean the air via the pollination of oxygen-producing plants.

The critical responses went like this.

[Rotten Tomatoes'] reported an approval rating of 33% based on 17 reviews, with a weighted average of 5.1/10.

The website's critical consensus reads, "IO has some big ideas but little idea of how to effectively convey them, leaving viewers with a sci-fi drama whose attractive packaging can't cover its enervating core." Metacritic, which uses a weighted average, assigned a score of 40 out of 100 based on 6 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews."

Nick Allen of RogerEbert.com gave the film 2 stars out of 5, writing that, "However pure its intentions, IO is genre minimalism to a fault." He added, "IO isn’t science-fiction storytelling distilled so much as it is vaporized."

_______________ IO - LAST ON EARTH - 2019

Bud Brewster
Galactic Fleet Admiral (site admin)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's yet another movie I'd like to see . . . but which Netflix doesn't have it! Mad

As far as I'm concerned, Netflix has become useless and a waste of my money! I think I'll cancel my account — right after I watch season 3 of Lost in Space and the seasons I've missed of Stranger Things. Rolling Eyes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Sci-Fi Movies from 2011 to 2020 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: