ALL SCI-FI Forum Index ALL SCI-FI
The place to “find your people”.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

R.I.P. Henry Darrow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pow
Galactic Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: R.I.P. Henry Darrow Reply with quote

So sad to read today about the passing of a fine actor and one of my favorites, Henry Darrow (September 15, 1933~March 14, 2021.)

Henry (Birth name: Enrique Tomas Delgado) is best remembered as the spirited cowboy Manolito "Mano" Montoya from the terrific TV western show "The High Chaparral" which ran from September 10, 1967~March 12, 1971.

Henry appeared on numerous TV shows over the years during his career. T.H.E. Cat, The Wild Wild West, Mission: Impossible, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Incredible Hulk, Star Trek:The Next Generation episode "Conspiracy" (as a Star Fleet Vulcan Admiral named Savar), Babylon 5.

He appeared on Rod Serling's Night Gallery on the episode "Cool Air" based upon the short story by H.P. Lovecraft.

When asked how he shaped the character of Manolito for The High Chaparral, Henry replied "I stole from everybody!" Cesar Romero, Duncan Renaldo, and Gilbert Roland (who would play his uncle on THC) were his inspirations.

"Darrow definitely knew what he was doing when it came to stealing scenes, but he was a piker next to his co-star on THC, Cameron Mitchell's "Buck Cannon."

Portraying a colorful cowboy on THC was a challenge for Henry. "He lacked equestrian skill, had a paralyzing fear of heights and sometimes suffered from immobilizing spinal pain."

Henry would guest star on the long running TV police show "Hawaii Five-O" with Jack Lord.

"The uncompromising Lord, a real hard taskmaster, decided immediately whether he liked someone or didn't. If he liked you, you were one of the select."
"Jack Lord got along with almost nobody. However, Henry Darrow, who got along with almost everyone, thoroughly enjoyed working with him."

"Jack was marvelous!" Darrow exclaims. "He could be a tight ass, but I understood that." Darrow knew that starring in a TV show required fourteen, fifteen, sixteen hour days. And Lord wasn't just the star, he was also a producer and was involved in everything from the scripting, directing, casting and so forth.

Whenever Henry would guest star on "Hawaii Five-O," Lord would follow it up with gracious handwritten note in appreciation of Darrow's work on the show.

As Henry noted, few leads on television shows ever did this, Jack was the exception.

Henry would discuss others he performed with over the years.

Anthony Quinn: "Tony was big and boisterous, loud and dynamic, full of energy."

"Richard Widmark was the most difficult person I ever worked with. However, as an actor, he was a total pro."

Henry guest starred on "Kojack" and had the opportunity to turn his role into a continuing part. He passed because he did not care for the arrogant and dismissive star of the show Telly Savalas.

One of Henry's best experiences was working with David Janssen on "Harry O."

The wonderful character actor Morgan Woodward (Captain Tracy on ST:TOS episode "The Omega Glory"), and Henry became good friends.

On making the film "Cancel My Reservation" which was shot with Bob Hope & Eva Marie Saint.

"Hope was taxing. He would keep everyone waiting in the heat."
"And she (Eva) hated being in it! She hated her wardrobe. She hated her make-up. She hated her hair-do."

Jean Simmons who was a guest star on the same episode of "Hawaii Five-O" as Henry was. "She was very elegant and had a delicate approach and set a beautiful tone."

Godspeed Amigo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ALL SCI-FI Forum Index -> Off-Topic Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: